Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Tracking for fun ideas?

Having spent the last 2 weeks at home with Tilly & another 2 to go whilst in season we've been playing/excercising in the garden & she loves playing "find it" which just involves me hiding pieces of treat in the garden or living room & she finds it - she gets so excited & really enjoys it, she gets them now within seconds though I was thinking of moving on to using something else,a bit more challenging like a toy but not sure how to go about it? Should I put some meat paste on the toy or something & let her smell it first then hide it? or any other tracking for fun ideas?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 07:17 AM
The way I start with a toy is to play with it with them to start with then let them see it in my hand and make them stay in that room while I go and put it in the middle of another room. I then come back and say 'find it' and go with them.

If Tilly is used to 'find it' meaning 'find food', she may not twig straight away so if she ignores the ball when she gets in the room go over to it all excited with 'here it is', make her come to the ball and then either play with her with it, or if she prefers treats, give her a treat. I'm sure it won't take her long to suss it and then you can hide the ball in more difficult places. Once she can go for a walk again, you can play this on a walk - particularly good in long grass and/or woods.

I have to versions of 'find it' ...'find it' means something that she is to find, pick up and bring back to me, 'show me' is something that she is supposed to find and stay with without picking it up, for which she gets a treat (I taught her the 'show me' so that she would find my golf ball and not pick it up).

You can also teach her the names of different things - e.g. you might try it with your keys. Hoki will do this, but so far only if I show them to her first, so the chances of her finding them for me if I do actually lose them are pretty slim. But she's great at going back to find Stumpy's ball (as Stumpy has a tendency to wander off with hers and then drop it somewhere ).

You can also teach her each member of your families' name so that she has to go and find the one you name (bit limited in our house as there is only me and OH, but they all know 'where's Andy').

Last winter I had many an entertaining evening playing hide and seek - I made the dogs stay in the lounge and went and hid somewhere upstairs then called them. I could hardly keep a straight face as they rushed into the room I was in and then stood there all confused because they couldn't see me (I was under the bed or in a wardrobe etc)...and yes I really am still just a big kid
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks for that Hali - your'e always so full of great ideas
I'll use some different words, she was quite good at recognizing toys by their name but most of her toys have been destroyed now, we are literally down to a couple of deflated balls & knotted up t shirts! She has her wubba toy which is known as red toy. I could start with that - I've managed to teach her to drop it on command at last without a treat which has taken ages.
That'll be todays game then!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 07:41 AM
You're welcome. When you have a dog that gets so much enjoyment out of this kind of game, its difficult not to be enthusiastic yourself. This type of game also comes in really useful for the long winter nights
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Hali has given you some great ideas for finding toys in the house and garden

Have you got a large garden? If so, and you fancy having a go at tracking with Tilly, you need to get her really interested in a toy (or food will do), and tie her up or get someone to hold her. She should be able to see what you are doing, and made a big effort to get her really excited. The scuff the grass with your feet and do a single leg along the grass (ideally on a bit where there is little other sent to distract her) and then place her toy or the food at the end, covered with a little grass. The scuff your feet in exactly the same line on the way back. The point her nose to the ground, give her a track or find it command and off you go
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Hali has given you some great ideas for finding toys in the house and garden

Have you got a large garden? If so, and you fancy having a go at tracking with Tilly, you need to get her really interested in a toy (or food will do), and tie her up or get someone to hold her. She should be able to see what you are doing, and made a big effort to get her really excited. The scuff the grass with your feet and do a single leg along the grass (ideally on a bit where there is little other sent to distract her) and then place her toy or the food at the end, covered with a little grass. The scuff your feet in exactly the same line on the way back. The point her nose to the ground, give her a track or find it command and off you go
It's big ish, but at the moment it's practically bald as I cut the grass yesterday! I could try this when the grass has grown - give me an excuse not to cut it
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Flower pots turned upside down, you know the ones with holes in the bottom, cermic pots works best. Plastic gets destoryed lol Put the treat in the same pot over and over again to start, and put 4-6 in a row and direct your dog's nose to the holes. When found, lift it up and give them the reward. As the training proceeds, either get them to sit or bark or both, reward them right away with the treat underneath. Then you can add more flower pots and spread them around the room. Great fun for winter games and older dogs who can't walk for long periods and need stimulation.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Fabi View Post
Flower pots turned upside down, you know the ones with holes in the bottom, cermic pots works best. Plastic gets destoryed lol Put the treat in the same pot over and over again to start, and put 4-6 in a row and direct your dog's nose to the holes. When found, lift it up and give them the reward. As the training proceeds, either get them to sit or bark or both, reward them right away with the treat underneath. Then you can add more flower pots and spread them around the room. Great fun for winter games and older dogs who can't walk for long periods and need stimulation.
That's a great idea too thanks - I've tried similar with plastic chinese takeaway containers, but she just runs off with them & destroys them.