View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-02-2007, 11:12 PM
We have it in a couple of bedrooms, those rooms are out of bounds for the dogs, I'm scared to death Harvey will do his other cruitiate in on it

I know when someones left a door open I can hear them skating around on it

Hate the stuff
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 11:18 PM
We have natural wood and both dogs have been used to it since they came here so we have had no problems with them. It's great for keeping the smell down.
But, I think you would have to educate a dog who was used to carpet if you laid a laminate or wood floor.
x
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 11:19 PM
So much more practicle BUT hated it! I was on edge every time the dogs slipped and they slipped alot and the constant noise aswell. I've heard it varies in quality so maybe you can get some non slip stuff but other than that I wouldn't ever have it.

(We had Takoda as a pup from 8wks old when we had the laminate so he skidded all over the place even though he had never been used to carpet before - wood flooring I would say is quite different to laminate though)
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-02-2007, 11:23 PM
I have a laminate floor in the kitchen. When Tawney was unsteady on her feet after she had had her strokes I ended up putting dustsheets down for her as she couldn't walk on it without falling.
My 2 girls also slip and slide on it, and to be perfectly honest I don't think it is that safe.
I have also had a fall myself on it whilst at my friends house.She has a laminate floor in her hall and I just went flat on my back (which didn't help my fractured spine by the way ), so I would never have it down again. Very easy to clean though
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 11:33 PM
You would need to be careful, he didnt injure himself Azz, with that cruciate I mean, it can happen.
Dawn.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I'd say no for the above reasons - a higher risk of injury. Especially in large dogs, it's an accident waiting to happen imo.

You could try lino that lookd like laminate? We've got that in the kitchen and it's the best of both worlds. Looks like laminate, but not slippy. Ours is fairly cheap, but I think you can't get some pricier ones that look really good.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi Azz I have laminate and it is certainly easier to clean than carpets and a lot less doggy smells, but I would not recommend it as my Golden Oldie who is rather unsteady on her feet just cannot get any purchase on it . I have had to put rubber backed non-slip rugs everywhere. I would imagine a young puppy would slip all over the place on it. I love it as it is so easy cleaned, but hate it because I feel the dogs could easily slip and injure themselves especially my borzois with those long legs.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 12:36 AM
I've got a mixture of laminate (lounge and front hall) and tiles (kitchen and dining room, which leads into the garden). The tiles are non slip but Suki has slipped a few times on the laminate but you can reduce the risk by being careful with the products you use to clean the floor. There's one specifically designed for laminate, which reduces slippiness but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. We have a rule that there's no running in the lounge be it child or dog and positioned the furniture in a way, which Suki has to walk.

There's no scatches and no smell of dogs either! I wouldn't have carpet and dogs as it would be a nightmare!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Thanks everyone - very helpful replies!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Azz,
Seems like you've got a mixture of opinions here.
FWIW we have it two rooms:-
a) It is slippery (We put down large rugs where the dogs walk / run / sleep)
b) We've not noticed any scratches in 1 year
c) It is easy to clean (Just whip the brush round the edges, where the hairs go!!)
d) Very hygenic (Liquids don't get absorbed)
e) Better value for money than solid wood
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »