Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kaytee81292
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2015, 09:49 PM

Guessing Dog Breed Of My Rescue Puppy

Hi! First time poster here but have read the forums some since I got my dog a few months ago. Was wanting to get some help possibly identifying the breed of my rescue girl.

At the shelter, they told me she was a rottweiler mix and I think that was just them making a guess. At the time she was really too young to tell so my vet left the breed as is. Now, my husband and I are moving into an apartment and will have to deal with breed restrictions. I don't think she has any characteristics of a rottie and my vet hasn't mentioned changing her breed in her papers since.

She is mostly black on top, with a brindle type pattern underneath. She also has some white spots on her underside.
She is medium sized - almost a year (just over 11 months) and about 38 lbs.
She has a fairly athletic body type. Long legs and not stocky at all.
She has a short muzzle, floppy ears.
She is energetic, super smart and catches on to things quickly.
Her nose seems to be crazy good, and she does display some guarding and herding behaviors, though I don't know how much of that is typical dog behavior.

We don't know what the new apartments will ask from us to prove her breed, but I would rather go to my vet with a breed in mind if needed so she will actually change it for me. Any ideas on what her mix could be?
Thanks!

mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2015, 09:55 PM
IMO, she's absolutely loaded with Rottie. Her head, her ear set... her color pattern. It's all over her to me. Perhaps some lab or boxer in there or something, or maybe even sighthound such as greyhound, since she's a bit leggy to be a staffy or pitty mix and there is brindle, I'd think. But I see a LOT of Rottweiler. Going to be hard to convince most people she's go no Rottweiler in there, though. Good looking girl BTW.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2015, 10:00 PM
I'd change her to perhaps a Greyhound/Labrador mix for purposes, but I'm seeing a ton of Rottie in this girl.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Would agree with previous poster in saying Greyhound/Labrador to suit your purpose. Probably get away with that explanation easily enough. Although looks to me like Rottie crossed with some type of hound (possibly Plott). Hope all works out for you.
Spear
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2015, 10:35 PM
She is beautiful! Mutts are very hard to identify with any one breed unless the 'mix' is minimal i.e two pure bred parents or 1 pure breed and 1 'minimal' mix.
kaytee81292
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2015, 10:47 PM
She is just so tiny compared to a rottie, that's why I assumed they must have miss-bred her! I am no breed expert by all means so I really had no ideas.

My vet says the standard to classify mixed breeds is to primarily label them by the breed that stands out most prominent. Maybe I can ask her to take another look. These breed restrictions stress me out and being military we will have to deal with it every time we move.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2015, 06:41 PM
A relative of mine had a dog that looked very very similar to your girl. She was a little bit stockier but not by much, could have just been because she was older. She was actually a staffy x collie but she too had the rottie markings. The rest of the litter had more random markings, two had the typical collie markings, another was all black.
She was a wonderful dog, very smart, gentle and loyal. She unfortunately was stolen by a couple of lads in a white van.
Spear
New Member!
Female 

06-04-2015, 07:47 PM
If really, really want to know the breed mix of your dog and don't mind spending a bit of money to do so you can always get a DNA test done... that way you can be more sure of her ancestry and be able to 'label' her breed better.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Except for DNA tests are inaccurate, and mostly just a waste of money. Do not buy a DNA test kit, they really do not work.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Except for DNA tests are inaccurate, and mostly just a waste of money. Do not buy a DNA test kit, they really do not work.
They work as long as your not past 4 or 5 misses in a dog, and at 5 you could have issues.

I also agree rottie is a large % of the mix.
Only other dog I know that might be is a CC, that May have that color pattern.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >