View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 04:23 PM
I love cats, both last cats are no longer with me, one disappeared(believed stolen)& the other was killed & dumped my drive gates which are not near the roadway

I can't have a cat now as I rescued a cat hating dog, but I still don't have a problem with them.

I have a problem with the owners, who do not castrate/spay their cats before they reach sexually maturity(which can be as early as 4 months)& allow them to breed unrestricted.

Cats are not indoor animals & IMHO I feel keeping them indoors is cruel
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I've got more cats than you have so there neh neh neh!

*There's even a beach in the East here called by everyone 'Cats Beach' because there is such a large colony of stray cats living on it!
Haha...I expect you do! Thank goodness we don't have that many! And none of ours are feral....that I know of. We have one gorgeous cat up our road call Holly, super friendly....sometimes I dread the children spotting her though because I know we'll be there for fifteen minutes minimum before I nanny drag the girls away from her purs and face nudges and general sweetness. She lives with two other fast and they seem to stay pretty close to their house.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Catrin - the cats of Cyprus even have several of their own pages on bookface! (And they get many mentions on Tripadvisor too!) I will try to find you some of my lovely pictures from my days spent helping the Malcolm Cat Sanctuary. Meanwhile here are some typical ones

Taking over the sunbeds at Souli Beach Hotel!

Typical street cat feeding time (far more gather for the mad cat lady feeding them outside the block next door to mine and you cannot put any rubbish in a wheelie without at least one cat jumping out of it! They are proper street cats - they live in dustbins lol!

Feeding street cats in Cyprus
http://youtu.be/zjL1XdS2Yq4

Thing I like best about the cats here is they kill cockroaches! Oh and they kill snakes too (not too sure if I like that idea as I doubt I will ever see many snakes - only seen one since moving here)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 04:35 PM
One more for luck Catrin (I know the girl who writes this blog she lives in Alsancak - Dorian Crazy Cat Lady!) The words are hers

All I’d say is that any animal-lovers thinking about relocating to Cyprus from the UK should bear in mind the huge difference in attitude towards stray dogs and cats here. And be prepared to turn into this person:
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Woweeeee that's some crazy cat house she has there!

Here's my beautiful Meka on the day I got her. I went to the Blue Cross determined to be headstrong and get two kittens. I don't know much about cat behaviour and didn't want anything with any behavioural problems....and I came home with an eight year old who from their description was shy and reserved but had come straight up to me to be petted and didn't seem at all shy! I took her out the box at home expecting her to hide and she just rolled around the floor on her back and then went to sit on the stairs!

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Excuse the blurry picture.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Woweeeee that's some crazy cat house she has there!

Here's my beautiful Meka on the day I got her. I went to the Blue Cross determined to be headstrong and get two kittens. I don't know much about cat behaviour and didn't want anything with any behavioural problems....and I came home with an eight year old who from their description was shy and reserved but had come straight up to me to be petted and didn't seem at all shy! I took her out the box at home expecting her to hide and she just rolled around the floor on her back and then went to sit on the stairs!

Yes but - you do realise they lie in wait on the stairs waiting for their chance to trip you up and send you headlong down them don't you?

She's beautiful. One day I will put some pics of my darlings Ebeneezer and Gobbolino. Unfortunately I still get stupidly upset thinking about them
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Awwww. I love the name Gobbolino..it was one of my favourite songs to sing when I was in junior school.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
OMG Tangutica

and if I hadn't had any clue about Cyprus before
now for sure I know exactly, that this wont be ever a country I wanna ever only just visit for holiday!

those pics and that vid really just let feel me plain disgust!

...and I thought I've a prob with just this "some" cats around at home

but at least your country must be free of mice and rats, cockroaches & snakes (like you said they hunt and eat that as well) at all, when they still need to get fed

or is there something going wrong?

are they now pets or feral cats?
as if they are feral cats, they should not get fed, as the natural thing would be than, that right the nature would already reduce at least a bit of their population there

as less food = smaller litters = less feral cats = the weak ones will die, the strong ones will survive
all just natural

but stray dogs are getting killed?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Over her the fast protection league used to do a capture, neuter and rerelease program for feral cats. I don't know if they still do but they did it for a friend of mine who was living in the inner city and notice a mummy cat and her litter living in a empty garage back yard full of old tyres.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »