View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Why the sarcasm? I haven't been sarcastic, or rude in my responses?

I tell you what, go look at the post about intensive dairy farming, I know, you're a vegan, but you tell me, why, when the vast majority of people want cheap and easy food, it's the people who provide them with this that are the bad guys.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
foxes are territorial so they need space and theyre also adaptable so they moved into our towns...and i for one think thats wonderful and i wish that all species could adapt to live alongside man so successfully!... so many species are becoming increasingly endangered because we are encroaching on the natural world at an alarming rate, animals like foxes should be admired not despised and killed.
You may think its wonderful, but the current and progressively worsening situation is proof its not so wonderful in real life.

i thought you also had issues with foxes being in the countryside? i know plenty who do! they kill them on sight just because they dont like the animal
Did you? You are worng, I have no issues with Foxes being in their natural habitat, I do however, have issue when the numbers increase to saturation level, or when they cause interference to livestock.

why on earth dont people take responsibilty for their animals!
I know, if dog owners did that we would be so much better off!

its their place to ensure their pets and livestock are safe its ridiculous to blame a predator for predating! ....if a fox had killed my rabbits or guinea pigs i'd have been devestated and also guilty that i didnt keep them secure but wouldnt go out and persecute the foxes...jeezus
WHAT? Nobody "blames" a Fox for being a Fox, and you wont find a single farmer or chicken keeper that objects to one or two animals being taken over a long period of time. Foxes are opportunistic though, they dont just kill and take one, if there are 60 chickens there they will kill 60! Foxes should NOT be living in towns, you give them a lot of credit, I see them as a Fox an opportunist that is now living in human habitats not because there isnt space in the countryside, but because they can and its easy to find food. When such things happen, they will inevitably come into negative contact with people and pets whereby steps will ultimately be taken to reduce numbers and control the spread. Thats good management not massacre, slaughter or kill the furry animals for fun!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Why the sarcasm? I haven't been sarcastic, or rude in my responses?

I tell you what, go look at the post about intensive dairy farming, I know, you're a vegan, but you tell me, why, when the vast majority of people want cheap and easy food, it's the people who provide them with this that are the bad guys.
i may come across a bit sarcastic sometimes but i'd never mock someone for their opinions....like saying for example someone has 'disneyland' or pink and fluffy views ...lol

ive not seen that thread so i'll check it out, but im totally opposed to the new proposed intensive dairy farm!

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You may think its wonderful, but the current and progressively worsening situation is proof its not so wonderful in real life.

yes i do think its wonderful when a wild canid is successful against all the odds....very rare in this predator hostile world!

Did you? You are worng, I have no issues with Foxes being in their natural habitat, I do however, have issue when the numbers increase to saturation level, or when they cause interference to livestock.

ahh right lol

I know, if dog owners did that we would be so much better off!
omg we agree

WHAT? Nobody "blames" a Fox for being a Fox, and you wont find a single farmer or chicken keeper that objects to one or two animals being taken over a long period of time. Foxes are opportunistic though, they dont just kill and take one, if there are 60 chickens there they will kill 60! Foxes should NOT be living in towns, you give them a lot of credit, I see them as a Fox an opportunist that is now living in human habitats not because there isnt space in the countryside, but because they can and its easy to find food. When such things happen, they will inevitably come into negative contact with people and pets whereby steps will ultimately be taken to reduce numbers and control the spread. Thats good management not massacre, slaughter or kill the furry animals for fun!
lmao i know farmers/hunters who detest foxes just for being foxes..and they do shoot them on sight,course i know foxes are opportunists the most successful species usually are, but theyre also efficient hunters of rabbits and rodents plus a large part of their diet is invertebrates.
thank fully there are plenty of people in towns who love seeing foxes and other wildlife in their gardens....infact they actually feel priviledged
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:38 PM
i may come across a bit sarcastic sometimes but i'd never mock someone for their opinions....like saying for example someone has 'disneyland' or pink and fluffy views ...lol

ive not seen that thread so i'll check it out, but im totally opposed to the new proposed intensive dairy farm!
Not sure I've accused anyone for having a 'disney' type approach to animals, is that what you're getting at?

Again, I know people who shoot foxes, but don't shoot them because they are foxes, they control their numbers, same as with rabbits, crows and pigeons, etc. Glad I know the type of people I do, who shoot, they respect the overall balance, and don't just shoot for the sake of it.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Not sure I've accused anyone for having a 'disney' type approach to animals, is that what you're getting at?

Again, I know people who shoot foxes, but don't shoot them because they are foxes, they control their numbers, same as with rabbits, crows and pigeons, etc. Glad I know the type of people I do, who shoot, they respect the overall balance, and don't just shoot for the sake of it.
i think it was actually a 'fluffy disneyland view' if i recall

'predator friendly' farming is the way forward, then the foxes dont need to be killed and they can prey on the 'rabbits' and rodents that need to be controlled.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 10:29 PM
i think it was actually a 'fluffy disneyland view' if i recall

'predator friendly' farming is the way forward, then the foxes dont need to be killed and they can prey on the 'rabbits' and rodents that need to be controlled.
I believe you're referring to the Exmoor Emperor, in which case, you've been sadly misled, like the majority of those who know little or nothing about deer culling and/or management.

No, predator friendly would work if we had the amount of land necessary, unfortunately we don't, so let's just stick with the old fashioned and well tried method of controlling numbers of species, seems to have worked, after all, foxes aren't extinct
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I believe you're referring to the Exmoor Emperor, in which case, you've been sadly misled, like the majority of those who know little or nothing about deer culling and/or management.

No, predator friendly would work if we had the amount of land necessary, unfortunately we don't, so let's just stick with the old fashioned and well tried method of controlling numbers of species, seems to have worked, after all, foxes aren't extinct
lmao not only do you mock my views but patronise me aswell

of course it works ask Prince Charles about his alpacas....no foxes arnt extinct but thats more to do with the nature of the animal, but anyway what about the individual foxes who havent killed any livestock! and yet still get shot in your control methods, arnt their lives important
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:05 AM
I would like to point out that foxes living in towns are still treading the trails of their ancestors. The areas where houses now stand where once rural areas, it is "we" mankind who are taking their terrioritory. The fox & badger in the photo i posted for example -

When my BIL & sister moved there 40 odd years ago they were told no one would ever build behind or to the side of them. They have an extensive garden approx 3/4 acre which is very unusual in what has become a town garden. I can remember being up the hill at the top of their garden & all you could see for miles was lolling landscape. To the side the ground was marshlands.

First of all they built on the marshlands - lots of problems with unsuspecting house owners .& subsidence! Then ground was sold at back of them over time & they are surrounded by houses

They were not long moved into the house some 40 years ago when my BIL became aware of a well trodden path from the fields beyond. As the area built up so the foxes & badgers kept using
that track even though it meant going through the newly built houses/gardens & they still do it to this day. They didnt move into the town, the town moved out & this is what some folk either dont know or realise

Perhaps foxes are opportunists but then again, so is mankind.....
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I would like to point out that foxes living in towns are still treading the trails of their ancestors. The areas where houses now stand where once rural areas, it is "we" mankind who are taking their terrioritory. The fox & badger in the photo i posted for example -

When my BIL & sister moved there 40 odd years ago they were told no one would ever build behind or to the side of them. They have an extensive garden approx 3/4 acre which is very unusual in what has become a town garden. I can remember being up the hill at the top of their garden & all you could see for miles was lolling landscape. To the side the ground was marshlands.

First of all they built on the marshlands - lots of problems with unsuspecting house owners .& subsidence! Then ground was sold at back of them over time & they are surrounded by houses

They were not long moved into the house some 40 years ago when my BIL became aware of a well trodden path from the fields beyond. As the area built up so the foxes & badgers kept using
that track even though it meant going through the newly built houses/gardens & they still do it to this day. They didnt move into the town, the town moved out & this is what some folk either dont know or realise

Perhaps foxes are opportunists but then again, so is mankind.....
Very well said, the greenbelt is being eaten away at an alarming rate by us, there was a proposal to build thousands of houses in my area on a huge swath of land much of it woodland, thank god its been scrapped but those foxes and badgers would have had to adapt or die and i know which i'd prefer them to do....but sadly some folk are selfish and intollerant towards these animals
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6