View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Some breeders are certainly in it for the money. But you have to breed an awful lot of pups to make any money if you're doing it properly. With the pups we've bred most litters we have just about broken even, or made a loss after taking into account things like whelping/raising equipment, health testing, feeding bitch and pups, microchipping, registrations etc etc etc The list is endless Any times we have made money (and its not even been enough to get excited about lol) it seems to be eaten up pretty quickly as it goes back into feeding the dogs and entries for shows!!

We are fortunate to have only been in the position where one of our pups needed to come back, all others are still happily settled in their homes. In this case the new owner broke her back and obviously, having a 4 month old labrador pup was just not do-able. We bought him back from her and then gave him away to friends.

I have to say though, discounting puppy farmers (i dread to think how many there are out there!!) i'd say only a fairly small minority are genuinely breeding just for the money. I'd say 90% would more likely be those breeding to keep a pup for themselves, whether it be a show/working dog or just a pet But then i like to think the best of people so i may be wrong
BWS
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

26-02-2009, 03:55 PM
working in rescue I have never sadly come across a boxer breeder who will take anything to do with a dog they have bred and sold ,I find that really sad ,I can only speak of course for ones we have contacted as I am sure there must be decent breedeers out there
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Some breeders are certainly in it for the money. But you have to breed an awful lot of pups to make any money if you're doing it properly. With the pups we've bred most litters we have just about broken even, or made a loss after taking into account things like whelping/raising equipment, health testing, feeding bitch and pups, microchipping, registrations etc etc etc The list is endless Any times we have made money (and its not even been enough to get excited about lol) it seems to be eaten up pretty quickly as it goes back into feeding the dogs and entries for shows!!

We are fortunate to have only been in the position where one of our pups needed to come back, all others are still happily settled in their homes. In this case the new owner broke her back and obviously, having a 4 month old labrador pup was just not do-able. We bought him back from her and then gave him away to friends.

I have to say though, discounting puppy farmers (i dread to think how many there are out there!!) i'd say only a fairly small minority are genuinely breeding just for the money. I'd say 90% would more likely be those breeding to keep a pup for themselves, whether it be a show/working dog or just a pet But then i like to think the best of people so i may be wrong
No I don't think you are wrong. I know several people that breed that are defininitely not in it for the money. They love their breed and do right by the pups that are bred. There is a small minority of breeders that just take the money and run and you might find that there may be some show/breeders out there that wouldn't be that much different. I don't know if every show/breeder sells their pups with the intention of taking a pup/dog back, for the rest of its life should the need arise

You are just not judgmental and that's not a bad thing, Jessica. Shame that there are not more like you out there, that show and breed and don't look down on others that breed ethically but do not show You are like a breath of fresh air

I wonder what the breeder of this Mal was like at the time of sale of the pup? Whether the breeder made it clear is was end of the line when the money was handed over, or not? Whether false promises were made? It would be interesting to know
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Most people who breed dogs aren't breeders, and are most certainly in it for the money.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
No I don't think you are wrong. I know several people that breed that are defininitely not in it for the money. They love their breed and do right by the pups that are bred. There is a small minority of breeders that just take the money and run and you might find that there may be some show/breeders out there that wouldn't be that much different. I don't know if every show/breeder sells their pups with the intention of taking a pup/dog back, for the rest of its life should the need arise

You are just not judgmental and that's not a bad thing, Jessica. Shame that there are not more like you out there, that show and breed and don't look down on others that breed ethically but do not show You are like a breath of fresh air

I wonder what the breeder of this Mal was like at the time of sale of the pup? Whether the breeder made it clear is was end of the line when the money was handed over, or not? Whether false promises were made? It would be interesting to know
I tend to find it is mostly those with no experience of breeding, and therefore no solid basis for their opinion who get judgemental over what people do. We all have opinions (ie, i wouldnt like someone breeding from a dog that isn't health tested to KC/breed club guidelines and is not of sound temperment) but some people like to impose their opinions on others as though they are law

Interesting point in your last paragraph... We sell ours with a contract saying that it must be returned to us if no longer wanted/able to keep. We have had this either in writing, or verbally, with every pup we have bought too. I would expect that from any good breeder.

Sadly, in all breeds there are some people with 5+ litters in the BRS every quarter, and they give good responsible breeders a bad name. Especially if they are successful show people as they very often are...
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I tend to find it is mostly those with no experience of breeding, and therefore no solid basis for their opinion who get judgemental over what people do. We all have opinions (ie, i wouldnt like someone breeding from a dog that isn't health tested to KC/breed club guidelines and is not of sound temperment) but some people like to impose their opinions on others as though they are law
Soooooooooooo true.........you've nailed it
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I tend to find the people who have been in the breed longest without breeding are the ones who get it right 98%of the time..

The people who get a pup and then 10 minutes later is breeding from it are wrong.. They need to live with the breed into adulthood before breeding from it..

So the people who are inexperienced are gaining experience by living with the dogs..thru the good times and the bad times..waht better person to guide other through it when they do actually decided to breed
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I tend to find the people who have been in the breed longest without breeding are the ones who get it right 98%of the time..

The people who get a pup and then 10 minutes later is breeding from it are wrong.. They need to live with the breed into adulthood before breeding from it..

So the people who are inexperienced are gaining experience by living with the dogs..thru the good times and the bad times..waht better person to guide other through it when they do actually decided to breed

I do agree with you on the most part there. A lot of people will buy a dog and breed from it on its second season, which isn't ideal That said though, i dont think you should ONLY breed if you've owned the breed 20+ years. If you have a fantastic example of the breed, exemplary show/working dog, amazing health tests and temperment but its your first dog of that breed, you shouldn't breed it?

You can gain a lot of experience spending time with the breed, researching it, speaking to owners, it doesnt just come from owning them. I have only had pugs 3 years, but have been passionate about them for about 15 years and read everything i could about them before finally being able to get one. I may not have the hands on experience with that breed, but i like to think i have done my homework with them.

So i agree... But also can see a different way of looking at that
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post
I think a lot of breeders are in it for the money, you just have to look at the KC breed record suppliment, one breeder in my breed had 5 litters born between 5/10/08 and 28/10/08, this is not a one off, she has multiple litters registered in almost every breed record suppliment, she doesn't show or work her dogs, in my opinion this is purely commercial.
five litters in 23 days how on earth did she care for them all
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I think people who do not show their dog and breed it are in it for the money .
Of course it may be a superb working dog or have some other skill but if it's just that they have decided they have a good speciman of the breed then it's all about money .
I know really good breeders who are breedig only very occasionally with a view to improving the breed . Their dogs have been judged by others to be superb examples of the breed . If I am buying a pedigree puppy these are the sort of people I would buy a pup from . Not someone who is breeding any old bitch with any old dog to make a bit of money
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >