View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Is this the start of Seperation Anxiety!

Sorry a bit long

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me help or advice, for those of you who don't know Jack is a rescue, we've had him 17 months now, and he had been very badly treated by his previous owners, he is now just over 2 years old, when we first got him he was just a nevous wreck, but bonded immediatly with Christopher and they have a wonderful relashionship and Jack trusts Christopher completly now, my concerns are is Jack starting to have seperation anxiety moments, some of the time when Chris goes to work Jack runs round the house squeeking/crying trying to find him, I ignore this as I don't want him to think that Chris going is something to get worked up about, but yesterday Chris phoned me from to work and asked if I could take his eyedrops over for him, he suffers from terrible hayfever, he works only about a 10 min walk from home, so I took Jack, who was over the moon to see him, but Chris had to go back to work and I had to practically drag Jack home backwards, again squeeking and crying some of the way, he was fine when we got home, his usual self, last night it was training and when it had finished the lady that runs it asked if Chris could help her load her car with bits as she had a bad back, so Chris handed me Jack to take to the car, but again it was dragging him backwards and the squeeking and crying, at home when he accepts that Chris isant there he's fine no problems, am I being a worry wart and reading too much into this, or am I right in thinking this is something that has to be addressed before it gets out of control, and if so how, does anyone have any ideas, thank you for reading this.
Christine
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about his behaviour out of the house, a lot of dogs behave like this when out of their comfort zone, hopefully your behaviour in the house will help him to improve there. If not you will need to work on that but there are a lot of others who are more knowledgable than me with this problem as its one problem I've not had to deal with yet.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Max was very similar to Jack. If I had to go out and leave him behind he would start to cry and whine to the point that it drive my other half mad.

It's even got to the point that if she tried to take him out he will just parks his bum on the carpet and he just wouldn't move, but as soon as I'm about he was fine.

So what we started to do was lock him out of my office to stop him sitting under my desk all the time, and she was the only one who fed him his food.

Basically what we tried to do was instil some trust between Max and my other half.

The stupid thing with Max is that if we all went out together and I had to leave them to pop back to the van for something then he was good as gold with her, it's just the leaving the house bit without me that freaked him out.

Well after a couple of months of this he began to except and trust her and things are fine now as he treats us both the same and it doesn't matter who's in or out or who takes him out. He now treats us as equals.

It might be worth asking Chris to totally ignorer Jack for a couple of weeks so that the bond becomes stronger between you and Jack and then he won't feel so upset about not being with Chris.