Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Emigrating n Dogs

Was looking at some dog rescue sites today n came across two dogs for re-homing due to owners emigrating n not being able to take them. It's been on my mind all day(sorry can't help it). I know it must be very expensive to take dogs to some countries more than others(or maybe not at all possible?), but they were not young dogs n the photos made me cry It must be harder for some folk than others to make such a decision but i could never do it, if could would have them both here n feel guilty about not being able to do so. Sorry if sounds daft but just wondered how anyone feels or rehomed dogs whose owners have emigrated.
Many thanks.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:18 PM
I suppose it depends on the situation. If someone moved from the UK to the USA or vice versa, they would have to go by plane and some dogs could not deal with the stress of flying and an older dog might have problems due to it. I could understand that, though I could never do it myself.

But I'd have a harder time understanding if the person were moving someplace they could drive to.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Perhaps if the people are emigrating but have to move into rented accommodation and can't have pets? Or maybe need to move immediately for a job and haven't got time to wait for a passport to come through?

I suppose in those situations I could see why rehoming your dogs would be considered - if they have to wait 6 months or more to come out to live with you, they'll just have settled into their new home before being sent somewhere new and having to settle in again.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I emigrated to Italy with my 2 dogs. I wouldn't move to a country if I couldn't take the dogs with me. Even from the UK to Australia I think for most dogs the stress of a 24 hour flight (and granted I would HATE to put my dogs through that) is less than the stress of being rehomed.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I hate to break this to you...
but some people tell lies to get rid of their dogs.
Emigration is a good one because if they say it bit someone the rescue won`t take it and if they say they can`t be a*sed to look after it any more they`ll look bad.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Emigration is a good one because if they say it bit someone the rescue won`t take it and if they say they can`t be a*sed to look after it any more they`ll look bad.
Oh my doG, how blinkered am i? Thankyou, had never even thought about that, it's terrible At best suppose folk have taken dogs to a rescue n not just dumped or abandoned them Thankyou for replies everyone.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Very good, and very sad point. It's like the "kid is allergic" ploy a lot of people use. While it might be true sometimes, I've known people who used that excuse and did NOT have anyone allergic at home.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I think C&D has a very valid point, I think this is a lie given to rescue centers to take the dogs on without the owners having to feel guilty about either not wanting them or whatever.
But I suppose alot of people do emigrate and decide not to take their dogs with them...why I do not know!
As has already been said I dont see how a plane journey can be more traumatic for a dog than the stress of being rehomed, being away from those he loves and everything he knows. Yes dogs would obviously be stressed out being in a plane but just the thought of leaving my pets if I were to emigrate is horrible! I couldnt do it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-01-2011, 07:25 PM
As usual Claire has raised a very good point. Unless you've been actively involved in rescue work I guess you don't think about such things. I didn't when I read the OP. I should not be surprised because during my life I've had just about every lie imaginable given to me.
Devilica
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
I emigrated to Italy with my 2 dogs. I wouldn't move to a country if I couldn't take the dogs with me. Even from the UK to Australia I think for most dogs the stress of a 24 hour flight (and granted I would HATE to put my dogs through that) is less than the stress of being rehomed.
I couldn't put 2 of my dogs through the stress of flying ( it would be fine if we could drive) One has syringomyelia and the pressure would cause her excruciating pain, and the other is an ex puppy farm stud dog who could not be crated for the journey. Stress would be only one factor.

As already stated though people move either very fast, or to places they can't take dogs, or they lie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >