Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelica
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2009, 07:23 PM

7 week old staffy pup cries all day.help

Hello, my 7 week old staffy pup cries all day if we are not constantly giving him attention,he is good at night as he sleeps in a crate at the side of our bed,but any time he is left on his own in the day he cries really reall loud,should i ignore him i really dont know what to do for the best,please help.......thanks lorna
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Firstly, he is very, very young to be left on his own. How long are you leaving him for? If it's just for a few minutes, then I would ignore him, providing he is safe.

Like babies, you need to make sure your pup is not in need of food, a drink, to toilet - I am sure you are already well versed in this already and I apologise if I sound like I'm talking real basics.

Can you leave him with something that smells of you? An old sweatshirt, for instance?

I am sure there will be loads of other responses to your post, and that you will get lots of helpful advice.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2009, 07:39 PM
You are going to be busy for the next couple of weeks as he really should be with his mum till he is 9 weeks old,

Don't worry - he will get past this stage when he grows up a little and settles into a routine. Just be loving and patient with him - he is a very little baby.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Think about the situation from his perspective - for his whole life he has been warm and secure with his mum and his littermates. Suddenly, he is on his own in a strange place, without mum, without siblings and with a whole array of new and sometimes frightening experiences. It would be more surprising if he didn't cry when he was left alone. As he grows in confidence, he will get over it.

Mick
angelica
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2009, 08:23 PM
thankyou i will try your suggestions and thanks again
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Poor little soul - I expect he wants his mum and his littermates. I hope he settles. Give him a cuddle for me.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Angelica as the others say your little one will be missing his Dam and siblings. Does he have a cuddly toy, they make great sibling substitutes and are comforting for a puppy to cuddle up next to (in addition to a tee short or similar which smells of you as Vicki suggested) .

I buy cuddlies from charity shops being careful to choose 'puppy safe ' ones which are not filled with beans and without removable eyes.

You will need to watch him constantly to begin with for house training but it is a good idea to give him some time alone for just a short time to begin with. The best time to do this is after a meal and play when he has been out to relieve himself and you are sure he is 'empty' . Put him in his crate with a toy and leave him alone, but still keep a discrete eye on him, he will probably have a sleep anyway .
angelica
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2009, 09:53 PM
thankyou,everyone has been really helpful,will now try to put everything into practice and hopefully he will be okay,we are just trying to do things right so he is happy.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Great advice above already and you could also try leaving a radio on as it's often comforting. Leave a cuddly toy, something that smells of your scent, make sure he has everything he needs and initially maybe just be in the next room, and then progress slowly to leaving him for just a couple of minutes. Do not make any kind of fuss when you are about to leave or he will anticipate it, also on your return just act normally to avoid him anticipating anything and getting stressed.