View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Sorry I can't offer any help except to perhaps use raised bowls for feeding. You must be so worried, I hope he improves soon, I am sending healing vibes and prayers for Jacks recovery, bless him.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2008, 10:00 PM
There was an article on Britbarf about bloat and using raised feed bowls and it was proved that there is no benefit gained by this. In fact there may well be some threads about bloat on britbarf or maybe start a thread asking for help???
I know Karen very well and she is scrupulous about what she does as regards feeding and exercise. Poor Jack, big hugs to you Karen from myself and The Norties xxxxx
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:09 PM
We've just returned from the vets after rushing there earlier with my friends' dog who bloated very badly twisted but they operated straight away, even though we just caught them before they closed, then we waited to take her to the 'emergency vets' where she is staying tonight. She was 7 yrs last week, fit as a fiddle but it happened just after she had eaten her tea - and she hadn't been out walking or playing, it just happened
3 years ago my own dog (same breed) bloated after just two mouthfuls of food, she was only 17 months. Both girls have had the gastroplexy (sp) so fingers crossed it won't happen again.
We follow the strict rule of no exercise two hours before or after food, all dogs eat from raised bowls. It still happened. The only 'coincidence' is that both could have been stressed at the time of eating (mine after a long journey, my friends after being shut up all day because of workmen in ) I'm convinced that stress plays a major part as well as the feeding/exercising rule.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:50 PM
No experience myself but my brothers dog had a serious bloat attack. He is "Phil" on here. I am sure if you pm him he might have some advice.Sending positive vibes from here.
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Thank you for all your lovely replys and so quick too!
Yes Borderdawn, he was opened up, they have not stitched him as it was not twisted. At first the vet gave him a 40/60 chance, but now that has changed, we are just trying to get him to eat something.

Sorry to hear of all the other dogs that has suffered with this too, , I'd read a bit about it, but never really thought it would happen. It's strange, but when I saw him acting as he was it was the first thing that popped into my head! The vet said his poor stomach was extended 5 time more than normal! poor boy, the pain he must have been in!

I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow, Thank you again for your help, xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Hiya Karen, have text you. Thinking of you, big hugs.xxxx
Tell Jack to buck up and eat something so he can get out of there and home to his mummy and family.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Sorry to hear this, there is a member on here who's been through this. He maybe able to shed light on it. But your vet is right once this happens they do have a risk of it happening again. Alot of the large breeds with deep chests seem to suffer from it.
That could be me.

We had a bloat / gastric torsion emergency with Breagh our Lab X Pointer last year when she was just a pup.

There are a few threads relating to her ordeal plus a bloat awareness thread which I'll flag up for you tomorrow.

Hope all is well.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Hi Karen,
Healing thoughts to Jack.

Have pm'd you

Jeanette
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 05:37 AM
I lost my great dane to a second bout of bloat, so it definitely does come back.

My vet recommended just soft food - not much good when you're feeding raw - perhaps cut down on the bone?

Can't suggest much else, sorry.
Hope your GSD makes it hon.....

x0x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I have no experience of it but own a breed that is in the high risk category for bloat. His breeder told us there isn't any set rule for it you can follow all the rules and some may or may not get it it seems to be the make up of the dog. I follow all the rules and so far have been lucky. Our breeder did recommend a tsp of liquid Gaviscon if suspected and set off for the Vet straight away the Gaviscon can give you a few vital minutes.
Wishing him well soon.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >