Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:24 AM

losing weight when in season

This is the second season this has happened to Trinny, she almost looks like I haven't fed her for a month

She hasnt gone off her food, is eating exactly the same amount, but when shes in season she seems to lose alot of weight, which I can't explain and neither can the vet, mainly because shes still eating

Is this normal
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Not sure if it's normal, and never heard of it, when a dog is still eating normally, but would suspect a hormonal issue. If hormones can be attributed to women's weight etc, then it could also be attributed to a bitche's weight and possibly affects her only during a season.

Has your vet checked for any hormonal imbalances ?
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Not sure if it's normal, and never heard of it, when a dog is still eating normally, but would suspect a hormonal issue. If hormones can be attributed to women's weight etc, then it could also be attributed to a bitche's weight and possibly affects her only during a season.

Has your vet checked for any hormonal imbalances ?
The vet is useless, infact I have been tempted to see another vet, as he just says as her weight goes back to normal within a week of her finishing her season, as it does, I shouldn't 'worry' about it
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Welshies always drop body and coat a few days before there season. Libby's dreadful due in anytime and shes like a bald skinned rat at the moment.
There a nightmare to show.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Well Mals drop coat before/during a season, and Males often drop weight when a bitch is in season, but never heard of a bitch who's eating normally dropping weight

If you're not happy with your vet, I would possibly ask for a 2nd opinion, but as I said, the only thing I can think of would be a hormonal issue
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:54 AM
2 of my girls from simlar breeding always lose weight when in heat despite the same unaltered diet.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
2 of my girls from simlar breeding always lose weight when in heat despite the same unaltered diet.
Umm, maybe it isnt something to worry about then, as she does regain the weight within a week of comming out of season
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Clair View Post
Umm, maybe it isnt something to worry about then, as she does regain the weight within a week of comming out of season
Sorry hun just found this, yep they both do.xx