View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2006, 03:10 AM

Why are the pads of my dogs feet bleeding?

We went out tonight, we were gone about two hours, the dogs were home alone, and when we came home, there was blood on the floor, it was long streaks like scratch marks. I checked the dogs and it was coming from Rocky's paws. Now it wasn't a lot but is it something I should worry about. The odd thing is that it is on both his front paws in the exact same spot. I don't think that he got them stuck anywhere as it is on both paws, but there was also blood on the door as if he were scratching to get outside. Could this be the problem or something more serious that I should be worried about?
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Could of been where he was scratching best to see how they are later today if there no better then i would take him to the vets.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Did he do any "skidding"?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi Amber it sounds as if Rocky may be scratching the ground in your absence to reach you. Is he used to being left alone, dogs are very social animals and it is natural for them to dislike being parted from those with whom they have bonded. Some cope better with separation than others . I think this depends partly on their disposition and also how they have been taught to cope with separation from being puppies. Some dogs bark or try to scratch and eat their way out to be with their family , they should never be chastised for this because doing so will only increase their anxiety.

Maybe it would be a good idea to desensitise Rocky to your absences, here is a previous post on this subject.

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=817783&postcount=9
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I have always been home with the dogs, other than when I go out a couple hours a week. We did go away for a night, and had our neighbour look after the dogs, and he told us that Rocky(St.Bernard x Boxer) had totally stressed out and went to the bathroom everywhere, I mean like it was up the walls and all over the floor, he wouldn't eat, he was very upset.

They are used to having someone here, but are also used to the couple hours we leave every week, to do grocery shopping, and our weekly run to the pet store. The problems seem to have started since he was left alone that night. Buster(shih-tzu) was fine and went on as if nothing was different, and ever since that night, Rocky barks when left alone.

He seems to be fine this morning no more bleeding, it did stop last night, I just cleaned up his paws with some warm water, and it was all dried blood that came off. It doesn't seem to bother him either, he isn't walking funny or biting at them......
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Did he do any "skidding"?
What do you mean by "skidding"?