View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Taking older dogs to rescue cos you have a puppy!

I was shocked to read in our local paper today a feature on all our dog homes in Norfolk being full and in some cases having to pay for private kennels for unwanted animals.

What shocked me was when they said they had people hand older dogs in because they had bought a new puppy! My 2 are older in years now (nearly 9 and 10) and I can't imagine just casting them off like that because I wanted a younger version (though tempting sometimes with Cherry ha ha!). I would wonder what had happened to them and had they got a good new home if the unexpected happened and they had to be rehomed for some unimaginable reason not a reason that is so wrong like this.

I think I would end up hating people if I worked in a dog rescue organisation and saw cases like this. How do they sleep at nights (the bad owners I mean not the rescue workers!).

They had one case they mentioned where the family had a 6 year old dog and got a puppy. The 6 year old dog bit the puppy so they handed it in to rescue. The rescue people said it would be much easier to find a good home for a puppy than a 6 year old dog but that didn't deter them unfortunately. GRRRRR
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Sadly thats what happens - luckily if my neighbours who own Sadie decide that their pup is more important (although they wouldnt) Sadie always has a home with me she is my dog also - not in a contract but she is and she is 9

Oh forgot to mention - at least they're in a rescue and not out defending themselves though - you've got to give the owners that much credit
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2010, 10:16 PM
It's disgusting people give up their old dogs and replace them with puppies

It's a shame that someone does not have the power to remove their new dog too - and then ban them for keeping animals for life.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I find it completely heartbreaking reading stuff like that.
All the love and loyalty the oldies have given to their
family and then to just be discared like an old dishrag,
completely awful.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Shelter I volunteered at had a 15 year old dog turned in because he kept growling at the new puppy and the kids preferred the puppy because it would play with them and not just lie around and sleep all day. The poor old guy was found dead in his run a few days later I broke my heart over that dog but there was no way I could have taken him home with me because of Rupert.

I only hope that when these people are old they're dumped in a crappy nursing home and left to rot.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Shelter I volunteered at had a 15 year old dog turned in because he kept growling at the new puppy and the kids preferred the puppy because it would play with them and not just lie around and sleep all day. The poor old guy was found dead in his run a few days later I broke my heart over that dog but there was no way I could have taken him home with me because of Rupert.

I only hope that when these people are old they're dumped in a crappy nursing home and left to rot.
I remember a thread not long ago where you told this story and i've not forgotton it since so can only begin to imagine how you must of felt.

As much as i would love to work in a rescue to help i couldn't because cases like this would affect me too much. How the hell these people sleep at night i shall never know. I wouldn't give my dog up for anything and i really do mean anything.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 07:54 AM
I can't understand them. Give me an older dog anyday, so much calmer and easier.
People who do that shouldn't be allowed to keep a flea let alone a dog as they obviously have no real feelings for the poor animal.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm the same as you Jackie. Would not give up my dog for ANYTHING
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 10:50 AM
If people are so willing to give up their dogs makes you wonder what sort of life that dog had anyway with a family that obviously has no heart/conscience. I couldn't work in rescue either Jackie - I think I would be in tears all the time plus I would end up with loads of dogs at home
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2010, 10:54 AM
That is terrible, I dont know how anyone could do it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >