Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 08:38 AM

Could This Be Arthritis?

Kyiro is a 5 year old ex-racing greyhound, who suffered terribly in his racing days and we believe was badly beaten many times.
He has always been a bit slow on walks but I have noticed over the past few months, although he is eager when I get his lead out, after about 10mins of walking he really slows up and I am literally dragging him along. I don't take him too far about 20 mins in the morning and around 30 - 45 mins in the afternoon.
A couple of weeks ago he really screamed as he went to move on the armchair and I thought he may have a bit of cramp so massaged his back leg and then he seemed fine, but he does often have trouble getting up off the armchair like he is stiff and uncmfortable, he is better on the sofa where he has more room.
I think he also (compared to Lily) seems a little stiff when walking on his back legs and i noticed as he was running in from the garden this morning he was running with both back legs together, if you get my meaning and then done a little hop at the end like his right back leg was stiffer than the left.
When we are out on a walk, because I am at the head end I can't see how his back legs look. But I wondered if because of his past if it could be a touch of arthritis and what would be the best thing for me to try for him.
Lily is nearly 7 but her movement is so free compared to his.
Any advice welcome
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Isn't it a pig when a lovely dog like Kyiro cannot enjoy his new good home because of such a rotten past

I think that only a vet will be able to tell you for sure what is going on here, but there were a good couple of clues in what you said that makes me think that you are right about it being arthritis.

The bit about him sometimes running with his back legs together made me think of our last dog who had arthritis following a cruciate op and also in her "ankle", and I remember the vet saying that she would be finding it more comfortable to run like that. You say that when he gets up from being curled up on a chair he is stiff and uncomfortable, and that is another classic sign of arthritis isn't it.

I was always told that short gentle walks were essential to keep the joints moving, but also something like Metacam might be in order for your boy as well. Lots of people swear by natural remedies such as glucosamine and the like - I am sure that they can help, but with my girl she really did need the extra oomph of Metacam.

Good luck, and give the lovely chap a cuddle from me please.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Could well be arthritis, but you really need to see the vet for a firm diagnosis because it could also be a host of other things.