Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I have noticed as well that the way men and women walk dogs differs. When it all men in the park they stick round the edge and all seem to walk there own walk. When women are out they seem to be more willing to stop and chat or change the path they were taking to meet up.
That's because we like to have a good old chinwag, and men are miserable b*ggers who don't like to talk to anyone
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Yep, my dogs DEFINATELY think they are Malamutes (and my friend's Springer Spaniel too!)
PMSL there was a staffy in the park last night that thought he was a mal too

Ela though he was LURRRVLY and flirted shamelessly. He was a very nice boy though (lovely sandy red colour with a white chest) an a proper staffy type too.
BlackStar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
That's because we like to have a good old chinwag, and men are miserable b*ggers who don't like to talk to anyone
Heeeey! LOL. I'd love a good old chinwag!

Looking at all the posts in tis thread, one thing is clear. While everyone shares a common goal, everyone has their own level of tolerance. I think I've gone away from the "code" idea, but I am gonna get on to my local council to set up and enclosed "Dog Park" when people can come and let them off the lead as they please. I think that would be great and our two wold love it.

Well, I say our two, but in all honesty, Cassie is a snob! She is not bothered by other dogs and finds them a bit boring. She much prefers the other owners as she gets lots of fuss and attention. Last night she went up to another dog owner and I PMSL as her tail was just a frantic blur!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
I think I've gone away from the "code" idea, but I am gonna get on to my local council to set up and enclosed "Dog Park" when people can come and let them off the lead as they please.
Be careful they don`t just ban dogs from certain areas instead. They have the legislation to do that now.
Horses that kick wear red ribbons in their tail - a simple warning, easily understood. This could be adapted but I prefer the age-old method of bellowing Is He Friendly! from a safe distance.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I'd echo that warning. Some of friends in the US have specific dog parks and they are now the only places you can let a dog run. Smaller enclosed areas - and not every dog in them is friendly, but as they are allowed off lead there, there they go. Think about it for a while before you ask.
BlackStar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Good points! Maybe I'll hold back a while
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 11:25 AM
The flag idea is an excellent one in theory. Shady as you know I have been working with for 2 years now and have slightly improved her fear aggression with other dogs. One offlead dog rushing over at full pelt would put us back months.
I do however walk Shady using 2 leads (one in each hand) so to carry flags as well would be an impossibility.
However something like a red or green hankie in your pocket would be easier.
Wave the red one if you don't want dogs rushing over and the green one to signal all is fine.
Mind you if people were just to use a bit of old fashioned respect and realise a dog may be on a lead for a reason and keep thiers away until they can check with the owner, there would be no need for anything.
I do like Shady to see other dogs as I like to socialize her in a controlled manner with quieter totally non aggresive dogs so she gets good experiences only.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Heeeey! LOL. I'd love a good old chinwag!

Looking at all the posts in tis thread, one thing is clear. While everyone shares a common goal, everyone has their own level of tolerance. I think I've gone away from the "code" idea, but I am gonna get on to my local council to set up and enclosed "Dog Park" when people can come and let them off the lead as they please. I think that would be great and our two wold love it.

Well, I say our two, but in all honesty, Cassie is a snob! She is not bothered by other dogs and finds them a bit boring. She much prefers the other owners as she gets lots of fuss and attention. Last night she went up to another dog owner and I PMSL as her tail was just a frantic blur!

They do this a lot in U.S.A. While I was in New York We saw quite of few dog parks and they seem to work really well. They are fenced off from the rest of the park and have benches and poo bins and the dogs can run free.
Rather like a playground for dogs
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I prefer the age-old method of bellowing Is He Friendly! from a safe distance.
I shout that if Bryan has trotted a bit too far ahead. Well, I shout 'He's friendly!'
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6