Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
I feel sick, thats awful, I can't believe that happened x x
running cloud
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
It just shows that these so called animal shelters are not always there for the best interests of the animals,this is a young dog that looks as though she would have been easily rehomed, how can anyone say she should be put to sleep!!!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
MuttzRule if the person euthanising had given enough for the dog to be so far anesthised they thought the dog was dead it would have been enough to cause kidney failure and more than likely liver failure too. I understand what you're saying about dogs living in freezing conditions but this isn't the same as being bagged in a freezer for 4 days, I can't see how a dog would survive this, being anesthised the dog would have died of hypothermia by at least day 2.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by running cloud View Post
It just shows that these so called animal shelters are not always there for the best interests of the animals,this is a young dog that looks as though she would have been easily rehomed, how can anyone say she should be put to sleep!!!
When they have far more dogs coming in than space available what are they supposed to do?

Don't blame the shelter who are left to pick up the pieces, blame the person who bred the dog and the person who wasn't committed to caring for the dog for the rest of it's life.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I didnt see the dogs were "bagged" Anne, that may explain one of the reasons the dog was able to survive, we, here usually do bag dogs, which of course would mean suffercation too in most cases.

I think there is merit for dogs surviving long periods in very cold circumstances and it also sayd this dog was underneath others, therefore perhaps not as "cold" as being on top, and had some protection of sorts.

I aslo agree with Anne, as it NOT being the rescues fault, but I do blame them in some part for not making sure their staff are trained correctly and that these dogs suffer as least as possible.
Dawn.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
It's unlikely that dogs would suffocate as the bags aren't air tight. Hypothermia is a risk when anaesthetising any animal so precautions are taken against this, if you were to put an anesthetised animal into a freezer for 4 days it would almost certainly die of hypothermia. I suppose miracles can happen but it all seems very far fetched to me that pup survived and with no long-term damage.

Not saying there haven't been cases of dogs waking up in freezers and being found within 24 hrs and I agree the persons who carried out these PTS's were absolutely at fault. I imagine it's not done on purpose and are horrified when told but nevertheless it's an unforgivable mistake and should never have happened.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:48 PM
OMG... poor little darling, this is a disgrace.

The dog is beautiful, im welling up with tears now.

They are irresponsible and a disgrace to their profession, how DARE the council not do anything about this, especially since it is the THIRD time something similar has happened.

I have signed the petition and I prey something is done about this....

My prayers are with the poor little mite in question, what it has been through is horrific, I wish I could rehome her...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
This story was horrifying alone, without reading that apparantly it has happened 3 times before :smt009

How utterly appalling - also how callous could they be telling her to get Gabby Euthanized again after such a miracle had happened?

Thank goodness she is safe now.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Shocked and discusted, what more can I say
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6