Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I don't get your point so I'm resting mine too.
Very wise...............
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Poor Cain on the floor right now. Judging by that face he's thinks I'm cruel

Wishful thinking....

Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Oi! Cain! Get that nose OFF the sofa!!

Definitely too soft there MM
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Whether or not my dogs go through doors BEFORE ME, WITH ME or AFTER ME depends on the context.

Nothing to do with "old school".

Again, this is just common sense to many of us.

But this thread is a good example of how people infer things from an outlook which are not implied by others.

Very revealing.

And this is why I started this thread it would be interesting to see what everyones idea of old school/being firm meant to them ^^
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
When people use terms like Old School and being firm what does that mean to you?
to some it means enforcing draconian punishment will solve the worlds problems.....others, "back in the day" type memories

depends on the context I suppose
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
for me old school is the whole dominance thing. i do some of the things that are thought of as old school but not really in a training way.

no sofa - because she ripped it a few years ago so shes not allowed on anymore i just dont want her on either as we had 3 at are old house but only the 2 and 1 now and i dont fancy sharing a 2 seat sofa with phoebe and my hubby

eats when we do - so she leaves us to eat in peace

i go out door first - to check for cats in the carpark

not allowed upstairs or on beds - i just dont want her there
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Dear oh dear how on earth did us old b*ggers ever manage to train a dog until you clever youngsters came along and showed us how
Seriously do you really believe we all went around battering our dogs in order to get them to obey or did we just treat them pretty much as we do today?
The way I train my dogs has never really changed tbh, and yet they are well behaved, loved and cherished individuals just like all the dogs I've owned in the past were. Not one of them has ever been battered or treated roughly and yet I've always been firm with them. Firm to me means I'm the one making the decisions, the one taking responsibility and funnily enough I do expect to be obeyed, not because I'm a bully but because my decisions and instructions are given for a reason and their lives may depend on them complying.
Old git that I am
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
To me old school means how things used to be done (often but not always, so don't shoot me) - rubbing puppy's nose in wee to toilet train etc.

Firm means taking no crap. I am firm with my dogs but I don't alpha roll or scruff them etc. If I wasn't firm I would have a problem IMO.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Rubbing puppies nose in wee and whacking with a rolled up newspaper may have been used by some people, was it ever the norm because those ways were certainly never used in our house and I was born in the early '50's my dad was born in 1909 so he'd have been pretty old although perhaps he missed that bit of school
Just like not everyone subscribed to following Barbara Woodhouse when she came along with her blessed choke chains, we'd already managed fine without them for years thanx. Although we did go Waaaalkies but that was just taking the mick.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Oh dear, when did "old school" become a negative

I`m very old school, I raised my children and dogs with the old school mentality, firmness, morality and respect for others.

That`s what "old school " means to me, cruelty can fit in any school you want it to, its not exclusive to old school teaching methods.

We seem to live in a society that anything that went before is classed as "old school" (wrong) yet from my old chair , I see a lot of "new school" is very very wrong in society.

I will carry on living in my old school bubble, it works for me and will carry on doing so..........
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >