View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I have two hands and therefore don't walk more than two dogs at a time. I guess it really is down to the dogs' behaviour and the walkers abilities to handle them.

I have free run up to four at a time and they all usually run about together and only in open areas where we can keep an eye on them. But that's with two of us, rather than just me.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 05:41 PM
wish id never posted now - all i wanted was healthy discussions and it appears to be a complete dig!

i appreciate opinions - whether i agree with them or not... as it woludnt be healthy for everyone to agree - but to have a dig.... hmmmm

think i'll say no further on the subject
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry, who`s having a dig
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I regularly take 4 dogs out, 2 labs, a springer, and a springer cocker cross, sometimes on lead, sometimes not. If mine all wanted to pull, then they'd easily have me over!

I can see your point, but it's each to their own at the end of the day.

x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2009, 07:22 PM
i can walk 4 bigguns, no prbs

my fiance, who is small, walked 3 shepherds and 2 jack russells for 2 months.

she also walks horses

i cant see the prob if the dogs are well trained, and this is the key, the handler is well trained

so i wouldnt automatically think the lady was irresponsible........depends
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I take all three out together, Reah is rarely on a lead though, so i suppose that really leaves just two on lead (when needed) by roads.

Saying that though I have had my son's dogs here (whilst he was on holiday) two GSD's and another BC, and have walked all six together.

I think it really depends on how much confidence and control you feel you have, and whether the dogs listen, also knowing your dog helps.

I daresay three strong dogs could pull you over, but then I think any dog/s could if they were of a mind too.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
ok take the whole 'i know my dog' out the equasion

to the above, i would reply, i wouldnt do so, as that is entirely the point

would you walk the listed breeds together?

yes

what if those dogs 'did one'?

but what if those dogs are trained?

ie, sits and downs, but with proofing.
ie, strong sits and downs under different context and environments and situations
i am a dog training instructor, for the last 2 weekends i have been teaching just such proofing

would you not call it borderline stupid?

no...............see last 2 points

im not after an argument here... just views so no-one jump on me
replied, as requested
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:46 PM
You shouldnt be so sensitive, people are voicing their opinions- just like you did on calling the woman who you didnt know or know her dogs, borderline stupid.

You asked, and are recieving answers. Where i used to live i regularly saw a woman lead walking 6 great danes along a busy road...does that make her irresponsible?- if the dogs werent under control then i would say so, but she obviously knew her dogs and they were impeccably behaved even when passing other people with dogs.

To take 'not knowing' dogs out of the question..when are you going to walk dogs that you dont know? not often is the answer, unless your a dog walker/sitter or work in a kennels(where walks are on private grounds so irrelavent)

If for some reason I had to walk 3 large/giant breeds that i did not know then i would probably do so individually until i knew the dogs, as in that scenario walking 3 unknown dogs of that size WOULD be irresponsible.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
im just going off potential strength off the dogs.... if they wanted to go she has no chance in he111 off holding on - on a main road... that was my point. (a very busy main road at that)
over fields that s different story.
But compare this with riding/leading a horse along a road. If the horse really wanted to go, could the handler stop it? but you see people riding/leading horses by the road every day. They know how well trained their horse is, just as presumably the lady knows how well trained her dogs are.

Now if you'd have said that the woman was being pulled along the road and had no control, I'd have agreed that it wasn't sensible, but I can't see any problems from what you said her dogs were like.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
this isnt a dig, it is a genuine question, but how do people keep track of all there dogs if they have a few offlead? i have enough trouble with one though, he is a little monster
Mine rarely stray far from me and at least two of them are usually together.

The only time I have to be careful is if I'm near the golf course when people are playing because Hoki will run to the golfers and stand in front of them and completely ignore me, Stumpy would shoot off in the other direction to go and hide and Tip would run around in circles not knowing which way to go.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 07:59 PM
like i said before too all people

replies/opinions were whati asked for but some replies were uncalled for
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >