View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 07:10 PM
No, in my view, there should be one breed standard and one type of dog. If the dog is unable to do the work it was bred for it should not become a champion in the ring, at least in the working, pastoral, gundog group (this would apply to some dogs in the utility group too). Too many show dogs bear no resemblemce to the the working equivalents and do not have the constitution or temprement to do the work they were bred to do, and this, to me at least, is sad and wrong.

In some breeds, the working line dogs, although they conform to the breed standard, and are able to do the work they were bred for, are simply not competitive in the show ring due to the way the breed standard is interpreted. In many cases, I do not think it is a matter of the working dogs not conforming to the standard, or not being beautiful to look at, but not following the trends of the show world, and therefore there is no point in entering them in shows as they would be laughed out as not conforming to the standard.

I do not see the point of breeding working dogs purely for the showring, ignoring the purpose they were bred for and not ensuring they can still do that work.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
All the GSDs & BCs(plus the Beardies)have been all able to work & do the job they were bred to do & yes that did include herding for the GSDs & Beardies.

Actually even my Cavaliers can do the job they used to do, not tried them on Woodcock, but they have all been good mouse hunters(they used to do this in their "Noble"owners "apartments" back in the 16th & 17th & 18th century-mine have all been more spaniel than toy !

No splits for me all the BCs registered with the KC originated from ISDS dogs even the Antipodean dogs !
Not since the ban though, hunting Meeces is illegal! Small Rats are ok though.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Wash your mouth out
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Wash your mouth out
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
No, in my view, there should be one breed standard and one type of dog. If the dog is unable to do the work it was bred for it should not become a champion in the ring, at least in the working, pastoral, gundog group (this would apply to some dogs in the utility group too). Too many show dogs bear no resemblemce to the the working equivalents and do not have the constitution or temprement to do the work they were bred to do, and this, to me at least, is sad and wrong.

In some breeds, the working line dogs, although they conform to the breed standard, and are able to do the work they were bred for, are simply not competitive in the show ring due to the way the breed standard is interpreted. In many cases, I do not think it is a matter of the working dogs not conforming to the standard, or not being beautiful to look at, but not following the trends of the show world, and therefore there is no point in entering them in shows as they would be laughed out as not conforming to the standard.

I do not see the point of breeding working dogs purely for the showring, ignoring the purpose they were bred for and not ensuring they can still do that work.
And yet many breeds can do the job they were bred to do, but hardly resemble the breed at all. I agree with what you say re working ability, but I personally can't see the point in breeding a dog purely for working reasons and have it look nothing like it's intended breed. It does work boths ways!

Again we come back to the old adage "If it's fit (ie can do the job it was bred to do) it must be healthy". This just doesn't make sense to me, there are many, many working type English Springers in this area with eye and hip problems. The working world is just as guilty as the show word for breeding incorrect/unhealthy dogs!

Not wanting to get into yet another show/working debate, but just feel it would be prudent to remember that.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:46 PM
No no no! This is why I love weims.

Maddy's Sire, he's a full Ch and Irish Ch.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok my turn......

Isla's sire is now a French and Spanish Champion. He had to gain a tres bon in a field trial to gain his French title, which he did!

JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Well excuse me , but I don't go hunting with them , they are have been highly trained by Reg & Jaq in the art of meecehunting & the last time I read about meecehunting it was only banned if humans did it with dogs-not cats meecehunting with dogs ! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Well excuse me , but I don't go hunting with them , they are have been highly trained by Reg & Jaq in the art of meecehunting & the last time I read about meecehunting it was only banned if humans did it with dogs-not cats meecehunting with dogs ! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Ahhhh then mine are also gulity, its Cats you see they lead Dogs astray!! Of course being such purrfect creatures they assume no responsibility!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Ahhhh then mine are also gulity, its Cats you see they lead Dogs astray!! Of course being such purrfect creatures they assume no responsibility!
Ooops we are just a tad off topic here-however my moggies are not bred to any standard except to look beautiful & provide the others with tasty morsels of the meeces & also train the smaller ones to help in bringing in extra meeces
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >