Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
karley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2007, 05:54 AM

Kidney Disease

My mums Staffy has kidney disease..Almost lost him last week.. Any advice please
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi Karley sorry to hear about the little Staffy having kidney disease.

The best person to advise you is the dogs vet who will know the extent of the problem and what medication the dog is taking.

Diet is important too, there are special diets for dogs with kidney problems and lots of info about it in the internet if you do a Google search, here is one article which looks helpful

http://www.waglife.com/a-healthy-wag...idney-failure/
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi, So sorry to hear about your mum's Staffy. Ditto what Mini said really. As kidney disease is serious and can take may forms. There are a number of diets and natural remedies that may be useful that I know of, but none will stop the actual disease, and as such it would be irresponsible of me to pass them on to you. The best advice must be that from your vet and I would only try any changes to diet/remedies and so on with his full knowledge and approval. We are all here though if we can be of any assistance and/or support to you.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2007, 10:04 PM
real sorry to hear bout your wee dogs kidney problems,there are so many soecial diets to help out with his problems,sorry again xxxxxx
karley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2007, 07:04 AM
sorry should have told you what we are already doing he has been to the vet and they have put him on a low protien diet as well as being on a number of herbal and homeopathic medications.....

Unfortunately today he can't move much at all the vet has told us there is not much more we can do so any alternatives to what we are already doing would be great!!!

Thanks heaps for the advice so far!!!!!
dallyden
New Member!
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Karley,

I'm really sorry to hear about your mum's staffy. I lost my last 2 girls to renal failure, 10 months apart. Both my girls were started on low-protein prescription diets - which they absolutely hated and refused to eat, and, as this in itself makes matters worse, I started to feed them on a home-made low-protein diet. My vet was brilliant and gave me loads of advice and the internet was an invaluable source of information. I also started them on a whole load of vitamins and supplements, as recommended from my 'research'. Also, when their bloods showed peaks, they would spend a few hours at the vets on a drip receiving fluids, and would perk up again for a while. It sounds as though you are already doing all you can. It really is an awful illness and I understand what you and your mum are going through. My thoughts are with you.