Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mpaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Where do you keep your dogs?

Were due to get a ckcs next year. Our place isnt exactly huge we only have a one bedroom flat but weve got a garden ect and cavs arent huge but where would you suggest i keep him at night? Shall i just leave a bed for him outside my bedroom door or in the front room? Or something? also what about when we go out. I can take him most places i go aslong as its dog friendly as i wouldnt want to leave him in the car but if going to do the food shopping or something like that im just wondering where would be appropriate to leave him as i wouldnt want him to feel trapped or anything x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2013, 08:02 AM
All my dogs are crate trained, not all of them sleep in crates(the two oldest boys & middle youngest girl do)& the others are with me, Jesscee has an armchair & Keewee & Tommee are my bed mates when it's cool & sleep near me when it's hot. All the dogs are with me 24/7.

Crating a puppy when you are out, when the puppy is napping, you are eating, sleeping etc is not a problem & TBH the puppy is safer in a crate when you cannot observe them. The crate should be a den & safe place for them & not a punishment. All mine go in & out of the crates during the day & evening as they please.

All my puppies have been near me when they first arrive overnight & it's usually in a crate overnight at first.

I've never believed in keeping a dog in one room whilst I am in another, but that is just me & my dogs, we all have a very close bond.
Mpaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2013, 08:07 AM
I would just prefer it at night if he learnt to sleep in his own bed and not im my bed. I will get a crate but like you say i would wany him to gonin and out of it freely. Im just more worried about when i go out i feel mean leaving him on his own so will take him with me whete i can i dont go out all that often anyway just to do food shopping or run a few errands. i work in the evening but hubby is home by then anyway.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2013, 08:23 AM
We use a crate for Marco to sleep in at night, during the day he has free reign of all of downstairs and the garden and he goes in his crate if we are out shopping etc.

Saying that I dropped off hubby's car earlier this morning for a service and was out for about 45 minutes and I purposefully left him out (with access to the garden) and when I came back he'd been as good as gold and not destroyed a thing!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2013, 08:27 AM
I crate train all my pups and sleep very close to them for the first few days or however long it takes them to settle. Mine decide for themselves as adults whether to be crated or not, currently they all are. I know you say you don't want to leave your dog alone but it's essential that your dog can be left unattended at times, as we never know when we may have to leave them. I would always get them used to being shut in a crate too as if they ever need a stay in the vets for an operation you don't want them stressed out by being shut in a crate, you want them to think of it as nothing out of the ordinary.
Mpaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Aw thats good then!! I will deffinatly get a crate x
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2013, 08:36 AM
I also think the crate is good so that the dog can just take his/her self off into its own space if it wants to where it knows it won't be disturbed - bit of me time.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2013, 08:54 AM
My dog is left with the run of the house if I am out and I am afraid she sleeps with me at night too. She never used to but now I wouldn't have it any other way.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I do not "keep" my dog anywhere. I live here and so does my dog.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
My dog is left with the run of the house if I am out and I am afraid she sleeps with me at night too. She never used to but now I wouldn't have it any other way.
Same here, love it!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »