register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
TabithaJ is offline  
Location: London, UK
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,498
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 12:57 PM

What do you think of these personalised collars?

These collars can have your dog's name, and/or your phone number on.

I've just ordered a blue one for Dexter, with my phone number in yellow thread.

Although he's never tried to run away or anything like that, I'm hoping to start letting him off the long line at the park soon, and although his recall seems to be improving greatly, I still like the idea of this collar as a safety precaution.

Do any of you use these collars?

If not, would you?




http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product...ubcat_id=10830
Reply With Quote
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
smokeybear is offline  
Location: Wiltshire UK
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,404
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't use a collar like this and would not because it does not meet legal compliance.

A legally compliant ID would have name and address of owner, anything else is a bonus, so you could have this plus an ID that was legally compliant.
Reply With Quote
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
SLB is offline  
Location: Nottingham, UK
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,540
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't like personalised collars - but the one you have ordered is different to what I was thinking (names in rhinestones) I like to personalise my dogs by giving them a colour - Louie is black (although he has a brown leather collar) Benjie is red and Sadie was green but people kept mistaking her for a boy so it's now pink.

Collars can be took off as easy as tags - so not sure on the safety aspect of it..but if it makes you feel safer then go for it.

BTW how did the black dog head collar come on with Dexter?
Reply With Quote
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
MarchHound is offline  
Location: Cheltenham, UK.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,887
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I thought you weren't meant to write your dogs name on ID tags these days? For safety reasons? I was always told to only put my own name, and as many phone numbers as possible (and 'SCAN ME').
Reply With Quote
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
smokeybear is offline  
Location: Wiltshire UK
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,404
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:13 PM
As a KC Good Citizen's Scheme Approved Examiner I can confirm the following:

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).

You can be fined up to 5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag.

The name of a dog does not improve or impair safety.

A friendly dog will come to anyone who calls, one who is more suspicious will not come to you no matter if you know his name, that of his owner or his favourite food!

By the time anyone is close enough to read the name of your dog on a tag (hanging below his neck) he will already have the dog in his possession (if he is a thief) unless of course he has the eyesight of Superman!
Reply With Quote
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
TabithaJ is offline  
Location: London, UK
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,498
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I don't use a collar like this and would not because it does not meet legal compliance.

A legally compliant ID would have name and address of owner, anything else is a bonus, so you could have this plus an ID that was legally compliant.


Yes, that's what I'm planning

Dexter doesn't like his ID tag and has already to destroy one. So now I plan to use this new collar in addition to a legally compliant ID tag. I just like the idea of a back up in case he either destroys another ID tag OR it comes off as he goes hurtling through a hedge...
Reply With Quote
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Velvetboxers is offline  
Location: U K
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,588
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
I thought you weren't meant to write your dogs name on ID tags these days? For safety reasons? I was always told to only put my own name, and as many phone numbers as possible (and 'SCAN ME').
Ours have two tags, both have mobile and landline numbers.

One tag has the dogs name plus first line of address and postcode.

Other tag has the health issue/s the dog has plus the fact that they are microchipped and spayed/neutered

Reply With Quote
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
TabithaJ is offline  
Location: London, UK
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,498
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post

BTW how did the black dog head collar come on with Dexter?



Thanks for remembering about the Black Dog headcollar - it is FAB!!!!!

Am really impressed. It took a few attempts to get the fit right but it's really nice and lightweight and I have to say, Dex is walking beautifully on it. I also like the fact that of all the headcollars I've tried, this one looks least like a muzzle
Reply With Quote
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
TabithaJ is offline  
Location: London, UK
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,498
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As a KC Good Citizen's Scheme Approved Examiner I can confirm the following:

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).

You can be fined up to 5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag.

The name of a dog does not improve or impair safety.

A friendly dog will come to anyone who calls, one who is more suspicious will not come to you no matter if you know his name, that of his owner or his favourite food!

By the time anyone is close enough to read the name of your dog on a tag (hanging below his neck) he will already have the dog in his possession (if he is a thief) unless of course he has the eyesight of Superman!



Must admit, up until now I've never wanted to put my dog's name on any ID tag.

But then I realised that if we ever got separated it would be much easier for a well meaning stranger to bring him back to me if they can call him by name.

Also, as SMOKEY BEAR so rightly notes, a friendly dog will usually let someone approach etc whether the stranger knows their name or not - and my dog is THE friendliest dog imaginable.
Reply With Quote
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
smokeybear is offline  
Location: Wiltshire UK
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 14,404
Female 
 
25-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I am really pleased you like it, as I say, I recommend this to all my clients, it is the least "invasive" and cumbersome of the head halters IMHO.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top