Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I wonder do these people talk to their children, or do they think that they will misbehave if they do
Children need to learn to speak our language. Mothers are encouraged to talk away to babies from the moment they are born to help them learn the language. I guess we're conditioned (or hard-wired) to view this talking as a display of affection.

Dogs on the other hand have their own language - largely body language. The poor little things not only have to learn to live with humans that haven't the first clue about THEIR language but also they are flooded with 'white noise' while they struggle to understand little bits of our langauage. They are incapable of learning the intricacies of our language so why bombard them with it? It's much easier for the dog to learn to understand us if you only use the few words that you need it to understand when conversing with him.

Now if you have a dog that for some reason likes the sound of your voice prattling on about nothing then there's no reason not to do it. But I was gob-smacked to discover that talking was stressing my dog. Making her unhappy. Making her not want to work with me. Making her itchy!!! It really wasn't at all aparant until I stopped talking. I find it hard - it feels as if I'm not letting my dog know I love her. But my dog doesn't see it that way. I think to my dog it's just a huge relief that suddenly we can communicate much more clearly.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 07:24 PM
That makes so much sense now.
I oftn go for walks with Dennis and yap at him like there's no tomorrow (the neighbours definitely think i'm crackers), but now you mention it it all become clear. On those evenings like tonight when i wear my i-pod while we're out he is so much beter behaved. I just walk and he just follows. Inever have to call him to catch up, which I do when i'm yapping at him. I just normally think he's dawdling. I guess he's not. I guess he just doesn't want to hear my yapping at him!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Yep - I chatter away to my dogs...I also talk to them a lot of the time they are training - I encourage them on and tell them when they are wrong.......what is wrong (IMO) is people who 'nag' thier dogs....Sit, sit, sit, Milly sit, come on, sit SIT SIT!! drive me mad! (Or over use of the dogs name...thats another bug bear!)

But I talk to my guys and I think verbal reinforcement is a big part of my training....Good girl, does not cut it for my guys...it has to eb YES, SO clever, What a great girl,......, yes, thats right,,,yes....GOOD! (Termination word)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Once i trained Nellie & tara to change direction on walks by hand signals, that was quite funky.

I do talk to them but not all the time,

If you talk willy nilly why should they listen to you when you really mean it.???

My worse pet hate is overuse of the dogs name!!!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I've always chatted away to my dogs. On walks, while making dinner - every time I walk past them I'd have a little something to say "hello sweetheart - have you been a good girl?" ...that kind of nonesense.

Then a trainer pointed out to me that the reason my Beagle wandered off for a sniff and started ignoring me was usually because I was talking too much. She explained that the dog really did want to do as it was told but it was getting so much white noise that it was stressful to it. So the dog would put it's nose down for a sniff (a calming signal) and then just wander off and do it's own thing.

"Nonesense!" I thought.

But I tried it. I stopped talking to the dogs other than to give one word commands. The difference is amazing. Also my atopic dog has stopped scratching!

I really miss talking to them. But the dogs are without a doubt happier now that I've SHUT UP!!!! And SOOOO much more attentive and obedient.
i remember taking an agility workshop with a great trainer,we trained our dogs without saying a word to them,it was all by body language,the results were amazing!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Once i trained Nellie & tara to change direction on walks by hand signals, that was quite funky.

I do talk to them but not all the time,

If you talk willy nilly why should they listen to you when you really mean it.???

My worse pet hate is overuse of the dogs name!!!!
so true!! mine is .....sitdown,sitdown,SITDOWN.(i hate the words combined anyway)
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
so true!! mine is .....sitdown,sitdown,SITDOWN.(i hate the words combined anyway)
...Or....Sit....Sit...SIT (dog jumps up) DOWN....Sit, Sit....Ok (asking the dog to lie down) ..down...DOWN!
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Found this interesting-I am always talking to Hatti-sorting out the world, telling her where we are going walking, what i'm having for lunch etc. etc. etc.- just out of curiosity i'm not going to natter to her anymore (which i will find hard to do!!) except for commands to see what happens-should be interesting
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 08:17 PM
oh im always talking to Pepsi, we have such a good bond. But i dont talk to her much on walks unless im giving her directions
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I talk to Sasha all the time . . . . she's my therapist . . . . any problems I have she listens too, any gripes at work or at home she listens too . . . . . she always agrees with me, never moans or wants to argue with me . . . . . unlike the rest of the family . . . .
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >