Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I agree - it is difficult to ignore a worried dog.
It`s not standing in a corner going la la la while your dog froths and drools in terror though It`s not adding fuel to the flames.
I had a dog frightened of fireworks so I provided a den for her and sat and watched TV. She could see I and the other dogs were not reacting so eventually she came out.
A frightened dog doesn`t learn - any attempt to soothe them can reinforce the fear. So by distancing the fear and not reacting you are giving the dog a chance to gather their wits and then begin to learn.
It makes us feel better to comfort the dog, but I don`t think it helps the dog until the threat is distanced.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I came to the conclusion with my collie that it was best to strike the middle road. I preferred to stay with him in the room while the fireworks lasted and to maintain a bit of normality (which I thought was better than hiding away in the hall cupboard and trying to dig his way through the floorboards). His fear of fireworks didn't really improve with time and so I thought the best thing was to sit it out with him. In those days I had never used a crate and so if he wanted to bury his head behind me on the settee then that was fine with me - it stoppped him quivering in abject terror and trying to physically escape from the noise.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 03:52 PM
My collies are scared of loud noises - fireworks, gunshot, birdscarers etc and i've never cuddled them to calm them down. My method is to not react to anything, be that the actual noise or the dog, I just pretend nothing happened, I dont even look at the dogs (not when they are looking at me anyway).

Maybe on bonfire night we let Jessie into the living room (Jed isnt bothered indoors) but we ignore her efforts to get attention. Quite often if she is upset by something she'll come over to me and try jumping up but I dont pander to her.

But my dogs dont react massively to things they dont like, they dont become jibbering wrecks or anything, they just get 'upset' rather than freak out so ignoring them at least doesnt make the situation any worse.

Yesterday on our walk a birdscarer went off 4 times, one time quite close and Jed did stop and look in it's direction. It's at this point i'm careful with my own behaviour because I know he's on the verge of running off so I nonchalantly carry on and I find that works for him. I think any form of affection would cement it in his mind that he was right to be afraid.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Pereg is startled by sudden loud noises [and Lord knows we get enough here ] but apart from her initial startle she ignores them. Little One was terrified though and would somehow manage to get behind the front row of paperback books I used to have on the bottom shelf by the side of my table.
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by peanutbutter16 View Post
Random question-

I was reading a Temple Grandin book (forgot what it was called) and about her thundershirt and how it calms dogs. I've never seen a thundershirt on a dog before but she said it works by putting pressure on the dog's body.

One time I took Luna to Persmart on a supercrowded day and she got overwhelmed by all the smells and dogs and how slippery the floor was. Got very upset. I took her to a quiet isle and wrapped my arms around her shoulders and chest. She stopped barking and jumping around all though she was still very upset (she hasn't been to petsmart since then)

Has anyone ever had any success hugging an upset dog? I can obviously see it upsetting certain dogs more but could it be a tool with very touch-tolerant dogs like Luna? She enjoys hugs at home; she will lean into me and paw me and shover her head into my neck if I stop hugging her. With dogs like that, do you think hugging or even draping a hand across their shoulders could be a helpful training tool?
If you are the owner of the dog and the dog likes you respects you as a leader, then it is good idea.
However stranger should not hug your dog ( especially) children because some dog may perceive it as a threat and bite into the face.
And you never know how your dog will react if stranger hugs them.
Prager Hans
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Do you think it would help Pereg if I put a tee shirt on her when she is frantically post ictal?
You could try a DIY 'body wrap' basically you get a crepe bandage (or any stretchy bandage) the wider the better! or horse bandage and 'wrap' them up snugly.
go around the front of the chest, up over their shoulders and around behind their front legs and fasten. You use stretchy bandages so it can fit snugly without hindering breathing/movement etc

Bailey loves it
saharazin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Ellie is reactive to several things--loud noises, big trucks, some dogs. The other day my husband was out with her and was surprised by a truck rounding a corner. Unable to retreat, he reached down and hugged her while she was still under threshold. Ellie watched the truck pass but did not react. He's done it a couple of times since then while she was still under threshold and it has worked.

I have ordered a Thundershirt for Ellie.
Ellard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post this in here so Mods please remove if necessary but:-

Springer Rescue for Scotland have a special sale of Thundershirts at the moment

They are £28 plus P&P and can be purchased by emailing fundraising@springerrescuescotland.org

All proceeds go to the charity.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3