Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
holly20
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Behavioural problems??

My bitch will pee on the carpet when i leave her in a room on her own, it doesnt matter whether its for 30mins or over night, and it's random as to when she will do it. she is 7 years old and ive had her from an adult, off a breeder. she won't pee if in the bedroom with me over night. Although i would rather not have her in the bedroom at night. she will howl, bark and make a mess if left in a room. if left in her crate she will howl and bark but not mess, she recently chewed two big holes through her crate where the bars are welded together, i bought this crate in may, and she only just chewed threw it. During the day i would leave her crate open so she had the choice of being in it or not, and locked when i went to bed. During the day she be in it most of the time quite happily with the door open. When ever she has pee'd and i come into the room she gives a sheepish look like she knows she has done something wrong. so she must know what she is doing is naughty. i tell her no after taking her to where she pee'd and then put her outside while i clean up the mess. i dont smack her or put her nose in it as i cant see that helping the situation, she goes on a long walk and pee's loads (she is un neutered) and i let her out of the house to pee often, when ever she goes outside she wont pee straight away sometimes she can be out there for a good 30 mins and not do anything, even from being in over night. She has been checked by a vet and i cant seem to figure out what the problem is. she will also jump on the sofa and take things that are not hers while i am out, a few times i have had to pick things up off the floor and put them back, or collect items that are not hers from her bed. i leave her with flat bones and she has toys, i even let her out for a last wee before i leave her in the house. i hope someone has experienced this before and able to give advise, thanks.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:52 AM
The only thing I can think of is go back to basics - crate training.

Good Luck.
holly20
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
thanks, only prob is i cant keep her in her crate she chewed it and unless i wrap the wire around it may be unsafe for her, so far i have had no luck finding a better crate, i bought it off ebay and pets at home sell the exact same crate. she squeezs out the ends of it, so i had to pad lock all 4 courners and now she has chewed threw the welded metal and i cant seem to find a stronger built crate.
holly20
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by holly20 View Post
thanks, only prob is i cant keep her in her crate she chewed it and unless i wrap the wire around it may be unsafe for her, so far i have had no luck finding a better crate, i bought it off ebay and pets at home sell the exact same crate. she squeezs out the ends of it, so i had to pad lock all 4 courners and now she has chewed threw the welded metal and i cant seem to find a stronger built crate.
Perhaps she needs a bigger crate? She's a husky so before you leave her walk her, then leave her in the crate with a chew or a bone..this should help her relax, if I leave my pup - as he is not used to being on his own with us not working and the other dogs are usually around, so I leave the TV or radio on for him. Of course we've passed the crate stage so I don't have that worry. Let me do some looking and I should be able to find a better stronger crate for you If not then some one else might be able to find one or recommend one for you
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Just been thinking could you perhaps have an outdoor pen for her for when you go out - that would eliminate the carpet problem oh and forgot to mention before you need a cleaner that has bio-enzymes in that can eat the wee - that sounds daft but your cleaner probably isn't taking the smell away.
holly20
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your help, i give her a treat and flat bones to keep her busy when im out, and i leave the t.v on so she thinks someone is in the house. I bought a crate bigger than the size recommended for huskies to make sure she was comfortable and had enough room. im not sure if the last post i posted was successful but it was showing the damage she caused to her crate. i wrote to the company on 18th Dec and sent pics but they have not replied. sometimes she behaves and other times she doesnt and length of time doesnt make a difference as sometimes ive left her for longer and she hasnt done anything.
holly20
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
sorry i forgot to add that, due to my husband being in the army i am unable to get a pen put up outside.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Do you think it may be Separation Anxiety? Is she a confident dog?
It may be worth looking at ways to relieve SA instead of confining her, which can just transfer the behaviour (she could start self-harming).
I think there have been a couple of threads on this lately - maybe someone can link them?
holly20
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
thanks slb, will try and find a cleaner more suitable, i was using 1001 x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >