Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mags0152
New Member!
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:08 AM

Feeding an adult and a pup

Our adult dog (4 years, Labradoodle, Hamish) and our 8 month old miniature poodle pup (Boo) have started to act strangely around food.
Boo won't even go near his food until Hamish has eaten then he prefers to eat the few scraps of dried food Hamish leaves. Hamish often tries to steal Boo's food, even tho prior to getting Boo he wasn't big on eating. We have to watch them at meal times and feed Boo in his crate
Things I'm concerned about:
Is this a behaviour that is normal between dogs?
Boo's food is higher calorie and we don't want Hamish to put weight on
Boo seems to prefer Hamish's food (and vice versa) - would it be ok to put Boo onto adult food at 8 months and so solve the above concerns?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mags
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Hiya.
I put my Bc onto adult food at about 8 months and my current puppy is now 5months and is just been weaned onto adult food.
Im not an expert on this however but this has worked well for us
nroberts4211
New Member!
Male 

25-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi no problem, i have a 6 month old labradoodle & my sons 5 month lab both on adult food all the best Neil
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Mine are fed separately and what ever they don't eat is taken up. I feed the 5month old British Bulldog her dried food which she eats the whole bowl straight down. I then put her outside and bring in the adult dog who prefers to be confined to eat his meal (I have no idea why) so he gets put in the kitchen with a stair gate on the doorway and he has his food. If either dog leaves any (the British never does ) it is taken up so the other dogs don't eat it. He is then put outside too. They are both fed different foods, and the way I feed them works well for me and them
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2010, 05:16 PM
My 7 month old Lab has been eating the same as his parents now for 3 months . He just started helping himself to the leftovers and as he was fine on those I weaned him onto it fully over a couple of weeks and now they all eat the same
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I have been thinking about getting a rasied feeder for my GSD so that pug puppy cant get to it