View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jimmy1960
New Member!
Male 

25-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Dominance with other dogs or just puppy play?

I have an 11 month staffy x who I rescued when he was aorund 12 weeks.

Typical of the breed he's absolutely fantastic with people. Treats everyone as if you are his long-lost brother/sister. He's a little bolshy with my wife and kids - not aggressive in any way at all but just seems to push his luck a bit with getting on the furniture, stealing things etc. He's never like that with me. That's all puppy stuff anyway I think and he's getting out of that slowly.

It's with other dogs that I have an issue - or maybe not!!

When he greets other dogs he's always reluctant to give his rear end. He spins it away if a dog tries to sniff him and stays nose to nose / cheek to cheek. His first instinct then seems to be to want to get on top of the other dog. Not always in a humping pose from the rear but he does do that if they'll let him (and they usually don't). He just wants to be on top - and that's often on top of the other dog's head. He looks pretty wild-eyed too while he's at it. As you might imagine this sometimes gets a pretty negative response from the other dog. Sometimes they try to bite him. He invariably backs off but then tries to go back in again. Never aggressive. Never growling. Never tries to bite the other dog. Just trying to be top dog. He does this both on and off the lead.

Some dogs tolerate this type of apparently rude introduction and go on to play with him and everything's fine

So - do I have a dominant dog or a playful puppy or both?

He's not neutered YET by the way. Having did some research I've decided to let him develope physically and mentally before giving him the snip. I plan to get it done at around aged 18 months. Tips and advice on whether I'm doping the right thing there would be appreciated also.

Thanks
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy1960 View Post
I have an 11 month staffy x who I rescued when he was aorund 12 weeks.

Typical of the breed he's absolutely fantastic with people. Treats everyone as if you are his long-lost brother/sister. He's a little bolshy with my wife and kids - not aggressive in any way at all but just seems to push his luck a bit with getting on the furniture, stealing things etc. He's never like that with me. That's all puppy stuff anyway I think and he's getting out of that slowly.

Do you do most of the training with him? Smart pup sounds like he is seeing if rules are rules just while you are around, if the wife and kids are as consistant in their training as you then I bet he will get it in no time

It's with other dogs that I have an issue - or maybe not!!

When he greets other dogs he's always reluctant to give his rear end. He spins it away if a dog tries to sniff him and stays nose to nose / cheek to cheek.

yeah lots of dogs dont like other dogs behind them, ok for face to face
I think its more a confidence thing with that, I have seen a few dogs over time as they get more confident be able to progress to side by side mutual butt sniffing - but its a fairly vunerable position to have a strange dog behind you

His first instinct then seems to be to want to get on top of the other dog. Not always in a humping pose from the rear but he does do that if they'll let him (and they usually don't). He just wants to be on top - and that's often on top of the other dog's head. He looks pretty wild-eyed too while he's at it. As you might imagine this sometimes gets a pretty negative response from the other dog. Sometimes they try to bite him. He invariably backs off but then tries to go back in again. Never aggressive. Never growling. Never tries to bite the other dog. Just trying to be top dog. He does this both on and off the lead.
Some dogs tolerate this type of apparently rude introduction and go on to play with him and everything's fine

So - do I have a dominant dog or a playful puppy or both?

He's not neutered YET by the way. Having did some research I've decided to let him develope physically and mentally before giving him the snip. I plan to get it done at around aged 18 months. Tips and advice on whether I'm doping the right thing there would be appreciated also.

Thanks
I think you are right to wait to get him nutered, I would never try and fix a behavioural problem with getting a dog neutered

trying to mount a dog isnt usualy dominant, honestly to me it sounds like he is friendly, excited, unsure and hasnt totaly learnt good manners yet

I would help teach him - first dont force him to let dogs sniff his bum - that will come with age and confidence

You keep control when he meets other dogs, when he has done a nice nose to nose sniff call him away and reward him before he gets so wound up he wants to hump

If you think it would be a nice dog to play with then walk a little with him on the lead until its not so exciting to have the other dog there
when all things are nice and calm let him off to play

He sounds a lovely bouncy happy chappy, but as you say the mounting is rude and he may well meet some dogs who really dont like it, true he may take the telling and learn from it - but he may not - so its best for you to step in and teach him good manners before other dogs have to teach him a rougher lesson

Just my oppinion tho, and of course I havent seen your dog, you know him better
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 03:38 PM
11 months isn't a puppy and from your description he is trying it on. Sounds like a case of bad manners to me but hard to tell without actually seeing it.

The first actual fight he has will make it too late as he will have learnt that fighting is fun/works for him/is a good way to behave.

I'd suggest a trainer or behaviourist who is experienced in dogs body language. Not sure what you mean by trying it on a bit with your family members but not an ideal way for him to behave.

rune
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a staffie and wouldn't allow him to behave like you describe, he sounds like he has no manners at all. I've met a fair few with similar problems and my lot won't tolerate it at all. For his own safety he needs to learn some manners. As for neutering mine was done at 6 months.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
11 months isn't a puppy and from your description he is trying it on. Sounds like a case of bad manners to me but hard to tell without actually seeing it.

The first actual fight he has will make it too late as he will have learnt that fighting is fun/works for him/is a good way to behave.

I'd suggest a trainer or behaviourist who is experienced in dogs body language. Not sure what you mean by trying it on a bit with your family members but not an ideal way for him to behave.

rune
I very much agree with Rune. He sounds like lacking manners, but it is very hard to know without seeing it - and the other dogs reactions. Soudns like he needs some good teaching dogs to spend some time with. Is ther anyone you know whose dog he respects and behaves well with? If so increase the exposure to that dog for sure and then I would find a good trainer, experienced in this process to have a look at him. But make sure it is a GOOD trainer. Goon recommendation, not advertsing, is my advice.

Whatever you decide - good luck!
Denise Mcleod
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:50 PM
he sounds like a fairly typical teenage yob to me.
Why not take him to training classes so you can practice your control around other dogs?
Jimmy1960
New Member!
Male 

31-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for replies everyone.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 05:50 PM
A few useful places to look for help might be:

www.apbc.org.uk
www.apdt.co.uk
There is also COAPE.

Don't get someone out of the local paper - what happens now could be very important for your boy's future

Wys
x