Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Could you eat an Elephant - BAD TV??? CH4 next week

I for one am horrified that a TV maker can even contemplate making a programme like this, and I think that they should reconsider airing this. :angry:

TV programme details

There is a comments section at the bottom for you to make your feelings known.

The trailers show dogs in a small cage waiting for slaughter with jolly music playing in the background... :angry:
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I think the title is chosen to raise an eyebrow but other than that I thought the concept was quite good.

Why do we accept eating a cow but not a horse for example ?

I think the idea is to visit different cultures around the world and try some of the things we (but not others) may find strange.

How animals are kept prior to eating is a different issue and so is consumption of endangered species but I've no issues with the actual eating of different animals.
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Do we base "consumption ethics" on the animals' intelligence? Or do we base it on the "cuddle factor"?

I think it is a little of both.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I think the title is chosen to raise an eyebrow but other than that I thought the concept was quite good.

Why do we accept eating a cow but not a horse for example ?

I think the idea is to visit different cultures around the world and try some of the things we (but not others) may find strange.

How animals are kept prior to eating is a different issue and so is consumption of endangered species but I've no issues with the actual eating of different animals.
i would second that
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Don't watch it if you don't like it :S I won't be.

I couldn't eat dog personally, but I would happily eat beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, ham... hypocritical maybe but it's my choice.

At the end of the day it's about choice and some people would want to watch it, afterall it's exploring different cultures.

It's a sad fact of life that other cultures do not accept Animal Rights and I'm afraid the only reason I couldn't watch a programme such as this is because I would find the images of the way animals are kept distressing. I don't have a problem with other cultures eating different animals - it's the keeping of them that I personally couldn't view.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
As a vegetarian I find it unnecessary to eat any animal, I do understand that if you choose to eat animals, you may eat all different types of animals, in one way it is less hypocritical than cooing over pictures of new born lambs one minute, and reaching for the mint sauce to eat with them next. However I will not be watching this programme and personally find programmes like this, and the mistreatment of animals in the name of the food industry offensive.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 09:40 PM
tonight at 10 on channel 4 there is a program on called 'could you eat an elephant'
i saw an advert for this program and was quite offended because before i realised what i was looking at-it had shown a BEATING (dogs i think) heart ready to eat-i guess it had just been ripped out of the dog-in cambodia i think-i may be wrong they didnt actually say it was a dog heart but im sure it will clarify this in the program as i only caught a bit of the advert- i dont know whether it is me being over sensitive but im going to make a official complaint as i would not of chose to see that as it was straight after i was with a clients dog that had died
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I didn't watch it, but there was a link where you could put your comments on...which I did, saying that I thought the programme should not be shown and why.

I received a reply saying ''your just the type of person we are looking for to comment on TV programmes and films, please contact us on etc etc.,

I didn't because it was still shown, so I thought why waste my time if they are still going to do it anyway
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-01-2009, 10:16 PM
this might be just a cultural issue?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't complain until you have the facts really and if it is like the still beating heart I have seen eaten before it may well be a snakes hearts.
I have this programme on sky+ to watch later so haven't seen it yet.

I will agree about the cultural issue though. We cannot condemn what others eat if we eat animals too. The only problem I have is with welfare and the conditions they are kept in, which we know are often well below what we would expect or hope.

And for the record I was a veggie for 17 years (aged 14 to 31) but now eat most things. I don't think I would eat dog or cat though.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >