Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 08:09 AM

Dell - need I say more?!

I was over the moon about 2 weeks ago, as my laptop is dying a horrible death, and I need a new desktop computer to be editing my photos on, I found an offer in the dell business mag, for £410 I upgraded the monitor to 22 inches, and it was a 2 gb ram, 320 gb h-drive, dual core processor tower. I was told to expect delivery within 8 days. Then it was the end of August, which irritated me somewhat.....then THEN yesterday I got told that it won't be delivered until the end of October! I've got tonnes of work to do, and my laptop literally cuts out every half an hour and then has to be left for up to two hours to cool down (my ex tipped squash into it-nice girl!) so yeh, I'm stuck! I'm never going to find another computer with as high a spec as the dell one for the same price, but I can't afford to wait until the end of Oct for it either - not a happy bunny!!!

Sorry just wanted to moan - thanks for listening, feel better now!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 08:39 AM
How annoying is that, and good for you for naming and shaming.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction of cheaper ones.
I can't remember where my last desktop came from but it was a site where you picked the components/spec out as you went along, they built it and it came the next day. I do remember it was very cheap though, my OH said cheaper than him getting the parts and building it for me.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I have heard that www.meshcomputers.com are very good for ordering on line and very reasonable, might be worth a look, that is where I am buying my next computer, which I fear will not be long.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks both! I shall check that site out!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 05:59 PM
We deal with Dell at work and they've made some rather unfortunate changes recently. They have dropped their prices a great deal but something has to give when they cut prices so drastically. These price cuts have led to staff cuts, therefore, even at work we never seem to get the same customer account manager.
I imagine the same thing is happening with the retail end of the business. There have also been some problems with components on their new machines and quite often shortages on parts. Any of these things could have delayed your delivery.
None of this helps you though. I bought an Acer laptop and am happy with it. Another web site is overclockers who have good prices. Check out both of those and make sure you let Dell know how rubbish you think their service is.
Good luck.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks hun, I think I am going to retract my order, and I will DEFINITELY be telling them how rubbish I think they are - I'm gutted
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
Thanks hun, I think I am going to retract my order, and I will DEFINITELY be telling them how rubbish I think they are - I'm gutted
Yep, tell them it just isn't good enough and that they're not the only supplier around
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm just so shocked, I didn't even get an apology when they changed the dates....so everyone...
DON'T USE DELL!!!!!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
I'm just so shocked, I didn't even get an apology when they changed the dates....so everyone...
DON'T USE DELL!!!!!!
Not surprised...unfortunately We used Dell as a supplier at my old job about 6 years ago and the service then was fab. Same account manager for 5 years. Now you don't even get the same person in 2 phone calls and we buy a lot of their kit for the NHS!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2007, 09:20 PM
(Smirk,) Told yez all months ago , the word Dell, should begin with an "H".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >