View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sashajade
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:42 PM

runny bum (diarrhoea - tummy bug or something they ate?)

hi i have 4 yorkies tye,12 zac12 , brandi a year and annie6, well tye has the runs today its watery has mucus in it and is a kind of mustard colour( not sure if its the food he is eating as its brown and cream coloured dried food), he is eating and drinking fine, i wouldnt say he is ill but def a bit quite. zac was a bit quite the last few days and his head seemed a bit hot but no runs and i checked his poo today and thats brown but with this other colour in the middle of it. annie seems fine but she had a poo today that was normal and brown but at the very end of the poo it was this funny colour and a bit runny, brandi who is the youngest (about a year ) seems fine. do you think they have just picked up a bit of a bug ?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 04:56 PM
It is impossible to say. Are any of them being sick? Are they off their food?

Dogs do from time to time get 'the runs' they eat and lick unsuitable things and it usually clears in 48 hours. Do not feed the dog that has 'the runs' for 24 hours and then feed chicken meat or fish slowly reintroducing his normal food once the stools return to norm consistency, don't worry about colour unless it is blood or looks like tar,

If the dog has continual diarrhoea or is vomiting then it should see the vet, but if the problem is just loose stools that will probable clear up shortly.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:01 PM
It sounds like they've all eaten something and its affected Tye the worst ..You can starve them for 24 hours and then introduce bland food ..chicken and rice etc but to be honest because of his age I'd be reluctant to do that ..I think if he were mine I'd put him on small portions of chicken and rice ..make sure he's drinking plenty and if there's no improvment by tomorrow then go to the vets ...I don't know about Yorkies at all but I'd imagine they dehydrate very quickly
sashajade
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Pita
It is impossible to say. Are any of them being sick? Are they off their food?

Dogs do from time to time get 'the runs' they eat and lick unsuitable things and it usually clears in 48 hours. Do not feed the dog that has 'the runs' for 24 hours and then feed chicken meat or fish slowly reintroducing his normal food once the stools return to norm consistency, don't worry about colour unless it is blood or looks like tar,

If the dog has continual diarrhoea or is vomiting then it should see the vet, but if the problem is just loose stools that will probable clear up shortly.
thanks for reply no none have been sick and no blood in it, they are all eating fine.
sashajade
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy
It sounds like they've all eaten something and its affected Tye the worst ..You can starve them for 24 hours and then introduce bland food ..chicken and rice etc but to be honest because of his age I'd be reluctant to do that ..I think if he were mine I'd put him on small portions of chicken and rice ..make sure he's drinking plenty and if there's no improvment by tomorrow then go to the vets ...I don't know about Yorkies at all but I'd imagine they dehydrate very quickly
thanks for reply none of them are dehydrated ,ive checked they skin and it pings back fast, i think he will be fine i just worry about nasty things like parvo.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 05:16 PM
If it were Parvo they would be very ill and the smell is nasty and unforgetable.

Think it is probably just the one dog that has had his snout where it should not have been, and you have become what I call 'poo alert' or a 'poo-ologist'. Keep an eye on them all of course but I think they should be alright.
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Ours ocassionally has a messy poo, usually booked down to something nasty she found and ate - best remedy seems to be keep liquids up and a couple of days on boiled rice and a little cooked chicken.