Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jamaican_rum200
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2006, 09:07 PM

Puppy Treats

I bought some pedigree treats for my 9 week puppy and when I got them home realised that they were for puppies over 4 months. Any advice on what to give her?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2006, 11:01 PM
For training treats/rewards it is best to use very small pieces of soft food that the puppy can eat quickly and does not have to chew, eg: bits of cooked or raw meat (chicken, beef, lamb, liver, etc) or cheese.

If you mean between meals snacks (puppy doesn't really need snacks if you are feeding correctly) try raw carrot or apple.
lleonder
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 12:04 PM
I always used to find my dog would be loose the day after puppy training so you really need to watch what you give as you dont want to upset their tums. Also remember to ajust their feeds if you are giving alot of treats as even a few treats to a pup can fill their little tummies. White chicken meat cut up small or cheese always go down well and usually dont cause any upset but try and avoid things like buttons.
Good Luck
lleonder
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh another thing I just remembered our trainer used was a tube of primula cheese lol. It meant you could just squeeze a little out and give it a little lick, very good for lead training just holding it at your side and pup will stay nice and close to you. Also for getting it used to standing and being groomed she had us smear a little on the wall and while pup was busy licking it was being groomed.