Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GoldenGirls
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Age to breed

In the past I have always bred from a bitch when they have been 2 years old. I have checked the kennel club website to confirm and all it states is that a a bitch must not be under the age of 1yrs when registering the pups??

The dilemma I have is my golden retriever bitch will be 1yr 9 months in december when her 3rd season will be due this is when I would of liked to of mated her as pups will arrive and go to their new homes by the summer.

The question is will she be ok to mate and possibly whelp just before she turns 2yrs. She will be 2 on the 8th march 2014 so there is also a possibility she could be 2yrs by the time she whelps.

All her health tests are taking place in april and I will be registering on the accredited breeder scheme with the kennel club.

I have projected forward with her seasons and unfortunately the next season after december 2013 would be july 2014 ok she will be 2yrs 4 months but not a time i would like her mated as pups would be leaving to go to new homes right before christmas.

I would not to go ahead and breed from her if her age meant I could'nt register the pups.

Any advice gratefully received.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-02-2013, 06:07 PM
If she hasn't got clear health tests how can you know if she is OK to breed from. If she has eye or hip problems and you have bred from her, then there is the chance that these problems will be passed onto her puppies.
I have had puppies before Christmas, and I kept them until after Christmas before they went to their new homes, it isn't difficult if you are prepared to do what is best for them, and I too didn't want them to go to new homes over the Christmas period when young children were involved.
GoldenGirls
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2013, 06:24 PM
This would be her first litter and no if her health tests come back unacceptable then i don't breed from her.
I have chosen not to have pups going to homes over the xmas period as it is such a busy time and would be extra stress for a new pup to cope with.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-02-2013, 06:28 PM
From what you say her health tests are after you have mated her, or have I read that wrong.
I arranged to keep my pups till mid Jan, I took a deposit on them and most of the owners could understand and appreciate this, the one that didn't and wanted the pup to be there Christmas morning 'for the children' didn't get a puppy from me, simples.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 06:59 PM
You could wait 12mths? Retrievers are a slow maturing breed, 3yrs is absolutely fine.
GoldenGirls
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2013, 07:02 PM
No no she is a yr old on the 8th march and her hips and eye tests will be done in april as advised by the vet. I would not be mating her until december if all health tests are ok.
GoldenGirls
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I was thinking the same Borderdawn it may be that way
. Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew the kc acceptable age to breed.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-02-2013, 07:15 PM
I think the KC age is 1 year, but for a large dog I think 2 is more acceptable. I didn't breed either of mine until 3, 8 being the upper age limit, I think the KC is saying only 4 litters in the lifetime as well now.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Whats acceptable isnt always the right thing to do. Its a minimum thing with the KC, nothing more.

3 is perfectly fine for my breed (Border Terrier) and they are a small dog, but I wouldnt want to leave it till 4yrs. Goldens are slow maturers and waiting would actually (IMO) be the more responsible thing as far as letting her physical and mentally mature first.

Very best of luck.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2013, 03:49 PM
What is the rush ?

My Keewee will be 4 when she has her litter nest year, all(available) her health tests bar the clinical eye test have been done & her eye test will be done before she is mated. This all is subject to me finding the right dog for her. She has to have had her eye tested & DNA CEA tests done before her puppies can be registered with the ISDS.

A bitch needs to be mature mentally & physically & TBH medium sized dogs upwards don't stop growing until they are around 18 months old.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >