Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-10-2013, 08:49 PM

How to give big dogs a bad name

I was on the way to the supermarket and waiting at a T junction, right in front there was this stunning Great Dane cross (possibly with a Mastiff) an elderly fella was chucking a stick around for the dog to fetch, then a passer by walks past and the dog darts over and starts jumping up at him

The old fella took a while to get there and then was waving his stick around

I was half tempted to go over and say, look I will take the dog off your hands if he is too much for you - he was stunning
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I was on the way to the supermarket and waiting at a T junction, right in front there was this stunning Great Dane cross (possibly with a Mastiff) an elderly fella was chucking a stick around for the dog to fetch, then a passer by walks past and the dog darts over and starts jumping up at him

I was half tempted to go over and say, look I will take the dog off your hands if he is too much for you - he was stunning
There's a dog we avoid on our usual walk route (the nearest route) purely because the owner has a job getting out of his car and pulling himself upright. The dog is huge (not sure of the cross) and it could very well be a lovely dog but - with an owner who can hardly manage to keep himself standing - who wants to take a chance that he could possibly keep his dog under control? Not me!

Fortunately he always turns up in his car (cars not supposed to be on the track) so it's easy to spot him when he is there. You usually see the dog well before the old geezer manages to haul himself out of the car behind it.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Had a couple of monsters dash across to us yesterday, terrified Mollie who is not very confident with bigger dogs since she was attacked, and had to pick Betty up (not something I like to do as she needs to be on the floor IMO) but I was scared she would get stood on and squished. They ran around and nearly knocked me down then rushed off and managed to knock a man flying.

The owner was still in her car on the phone !

Yes gives dogs a bad name.

Even when I have had really badly trained dogs I have prided myself I never let them bother anyone but me. I don't understand why people think their dog should be allowed to do that.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2013, 09:25 AM
I agree, why owners allow their dogs (or even encourage them) to get in the way of other dogs and people I will never understand.
Since Cookie has hurt his back he has been kept on lead, since if another dog goes near his back he kicks off and the vet insisted that he needs restricted exercise. We even tried walking him around the streets, but still get out of control dogs rushing at us! grrr!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Azz you are clearly in need of a dog. Please think about getting one...x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Having a very big dog I find I am never fully relaxed walking him especially off lead as he has hit a very naughty stage and the last thing I want is him hurtling up to someone or someones little dog or any dog for that matter uninvited and causing havoc and harm.
He is very good playing with dogs of all sizes but can run into people not on purpose but because he finds it hard to put the brakes on so I warn people of this if they allow him to free run and play with their dogs.
Lead walking on roads has been hard work getting him to walk past people without him thinking it is ok to say hello and slobber on them and sit on their feet we seem to of achieved that goal. If they have dog with them its a different matter he wants to be everyone friend.

You have to take responsibility for your dog big or small but especially with the bigger ones I certainly don't want Dillon getting a bad name or worse still reported for being out of control.

I had a big lab jump up me the other day very friendly just wanted to say hello he jumped up to face height. I would of been mortified if Dillon had done that.

And yes Azz I agree with Mini it sounds like you are getting very broody.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
There's that beautiful Dane crossed with mastiff looking for a home on rescue remedies....beautiful silvery brindle called Lavinia ...go on, I want her but can't....go on.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I have had large (NOT giant) breed dogs all my life. Brownie was not friendly enough to run up to anybody asking to play. When off lead, he stayed near me always. Over-protective if nothing else. He would never, EVER run over a small dog or jump up on a child, for he was very gentle in that regard.

Nigredo, my new LabX puppy is different. If kids have a stick or something that looks fetch-able... he will knock them right down Labrador "barrel-style" putting all of his weight behind the launch. He can also bite your hand badly by accident trying to steal the stick. Both can injure a kid pretty badly.

Needless to say, this cannot be allowed. He is leashed when children are about for them to pet him nicely, or guided away from them if they look of the "boisterous" kind. I dislike children who do not know how to treat animals.

He jumps on me family members still sometimes, which I am trying to stop as one time my mother got a puppy skull to the lip one day, but not Jade or our cats. He does not jump up on random adults at all, too nervous, I guess.

With dogs, if one doesn't act super unfriendly to him... he will overstep his boundaries and barrel into the dog, jump on the dogs head and shoulders, and just be a general "puppy".

Because of this, I keep a close eye on him when he interacts with other dogs and stay to correct him if he starts to push the other dog's buttons. He is less than 10 months and he behaves better than most dogs I see.

If he does something naughty, which he does a lot less these days... at least he will come over when I call him and sit in time out whereas people's dogs just won't come... or rather... they come when they want to.

When you have a young puppy, this can be annoying.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Azz why didn't you stop ..... that dog could have been yours now and all snuggled up next to you.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys

I will have to go the same time another day... see if they're there again. I wouldn't be cheeky to say I'll take him off your hands tho, perhaps just give him some pointers.

The funny thing is next doors dog reminds me of Rocky so much now - wonder if it's because of the stupid high pitch hellos/excited sounds he gets from me

Maybe one day...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >