Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 03:31 PM

'Pack Walks'

Does anyone regularly walk their dogs with a few other people?

I walk Cooper, and Harry sometimes, regularly with a friend who also has a young playful dog and they get on so well together.
We were talking the other day and are considering looking for a few other dogs to join us to walk so our boys get to play with other dogs (our boys have got so much better behaved since having walks with each other) as we don't really have an area where dogs can get together and play, our local park is a large country type park.

If you do this where did you meet the other people you walk with? And do you have any issues with them being in a group?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 03:45 PM
All the time with various people and often just letting them all play in the garden (which is large) while we coffee and chat. Also some get left while owners do dentist etc so they don't get left in the car. So I can sit out and read and watch them.

I think it needs supervision and sometimes I interfere.

They are all very good with other dogs, we get odd situations but no real problems.

rune
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Only thing I can suggest is something like meetup.com, in which case you can start your own group by asking if there are any locals with dogs who want company while on walks.

Other venues are craiglist and gumtree, but meetup is specifically designed for, well, meetings with specific interests.

As for dogs having issues in a group I always figured it is highly dependent on the dog and the owner; in which case you may need to see them prior to the meet up to make sure they'll be okay.

Hope that helped!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Ma and Dave were talking about this the other day after a very frustrating walk in the park were people avoided us or called dogs away as soon as they had a sniff. All was friendly it just seemed like some people wont let dogs be dogs and met others of their own kind. W

We asked our vets if we could put a ad in the window to get a telford dog working group together or even travel further afield once a week to have a group walk.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2011, 03:51 PM
i often take my dane out with others there are normally 5 other danes and a greyhound that join us. we have a country park near to us where we all meet. we find that in a bigger group the dogs get on really well. we have had the odd grumble but that was at the beginning and now they all get on great and happily walk together.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Nope! I don't really know many people my age that are into dogs. However, my dad has friends with dogs and walks Dex and Bo with them together once a week, which is nice for them.

It would be nice to meet more friendly dogs that are up for a play though. I think I must walk at odd times in odd places, because we either see no one at all, or if we do the dog is aggressive/too old/too young/not interested in playing.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Yes. Via a "meet up group". Weirdly or not, given the number (& variety) of dogs that sometimes are out, never had the slightest issue.

visagebook group?

RE Where - for the meetup group all over the place where it's safe to let the dogs off the lead. Half the fun being going to new places though they have a regular meetup in Bracknell Forest when I'm working.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 04:07 PM
My friend started a dog walking group at St Austell. They are insured and walk twice a week and it has now developed and they meet to do fun agility and barrel racing and other fun stuff.

Maybe worth starting one?

rune
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 04:36 PM
My dogs meet loads of others at agility shows every weekend, sometimes in quite small exercise areas, so they get used to mixing with strange dogs all the time. They are a fairly independent pack though and only a couple of them bother to say 'hello' to other dogs.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I see a group of GR'S walking every other week , sounds like they all know the breeder of their dogs ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >