Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
We dont walk for the hour, we go to a park 10 mins away, she has a sniff, a run, some training and a play and then back home. Takes an hour and shes still full of beans when we get back.

Im not sticking to '5 mins for each month of their life' because thats ****** stupid, she'd go nuts!
Keira is 14 weeks and I wouldn't dream of having her out for that long, I sympathise with the energy thing,,, really I have a broken vase to show for that excess energy but unfotunately as babies they don't know when enoughs enough, I did so much reading, and taken advice from members on here who clearly know what they are talking about, I'm sure I over exercised Keira in the beginning but took the advice on board so cut it back.

I am trying to do training several times a day so she gets mentally tired but I think dealing with the excess energy is part and parcel of having a pup, I'd rather put up with a few months of her 'going a bit nuts' than deal with a lifetime of joint problems.

I know how hard it is when the excercise is limited, I took Keira and Summer to the beach this weekend and after 20 minutes walking we had to set up camp next to the car while all my family and my older dog went off again through the forest.

So in answer to your question imo definatley not a 5K
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2011, 09:48 PM
removed due to misreading
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Sorry, but I also think too much exercise is harmful and the 5K walk is far too much for a 14 week old puppy. I am almost paranoid about puppies overdoing things and ending up with bad joints later in life. At the moment I am not even happy with my pup jumping up a couple of steps in the garden, especially if at a gallop - just in case she bangs her legs or twists something.
All puppies "go mad". As I am sitting here Bonnie, who is 9 weeks is having a mad session. Nobody has encouraged it - she has just woken up and is full of herself. It lasts for about 10 minutes and during that time she digs, charges about and chases everything she can, grabs at all the plants in the garden and generally acts the little devil with the wind up her tail. It doesn't mean she's going to be nuts 'though, or that she needs to go for a hike to work it off - its just what puppies do.
In the time I have been writing this she has gradually settled down again (having exhausted herself).
It is said that says the more exercise a dog has the more it wants and it can become a vicious circle trying to keep the dog satisfied.
If it were me I would do the long walk when she is grown up.
sounds just like my lovely Keira! She is currently lay quietly but when she gets bouncy all hell breaks loose and I love it, Summer does as well mostly now she's got used to the mad bundle of fluff that 'attacks her' , isn't that the whole point in getting a puppy? Yes we do sit stays, find treats etc to tire her out, I will definatley stick by the 5 minute guidelines as I'd rather have her a bit more bouncy at home now than have problems with her joints later
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
based on her post about taking the dog out for 1 hour but not walking it continually for 1 hour makes me feel she is not as stupid as to walk the dog for a whole 5k.
But then why ask if a pup can do 5k if she is planning on carrying the pup most of the time? The distance would be irrelevant then...
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2011, 09:58 PM
i have never restricted my pups exercise over a few decades and strangely none have ever had joint issues, my old boys back end went a couple of years ago but he was 18, maybe i have been lucky.
I agree though 5k at 14 weeks non stop is too much but then again feel the original OP did not mean to walk the pup the entire 5k.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
But then why ask if a pup can do 5k if she is planning on carrying the pup most of the time? The distance would be irrelevant then...
she asked when she would know the dog had had enough in her first post and then she also informed that when she does her normal walk the dog does not walk continually, maybe send her a PM and ask her.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
she asked when she would know the dog had had enough in her first post and then she also informed that when she does her normal walk the dog does not walk continually, maybe send her a PM and ask her.
Yep, she did ask when to know if the pup has 'had enough' but she also asks if 5k is too long... that comes across as though she was planning on walking the dog pretty much the whole time. It clear that she doesn't want advice anyway, and will do it her way whatever we say.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Sorry have not read all the replies, but read some which I thought meant to walk 5K with pup, anyway to answer the question Mojo is 8 months and I wouldn't walk her that far, her legs are small enough...she'd come back with no legs at all after that distance
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:56 AM
5k for a JRT puppy is way way too much.
Terriers can be prone to hip and knee problems, so thats something to be really mindful about.
1 hour a day exercise is definitely way too much for a 14 week old pup, Up to approx 8 months - 12 months old there isnt a real requirement for specific "exercise" - as in walking or taking out for the purpose of exercising, because of the stress on their forming joints and the amount of activity they do in a day anyway is more than enough.
She might seem hyper - but thats a puppy for you, and JRTs are a bit like that when they are little - they're well known for being a full of beans dog. An hour a day is enough to keep my 18 month old Staffy sleeping the rest of the afternoon lol.

Perhaps you could walk and carry the main bulk and then let her cross the finish line and put her down about 20 minutes before you reach it?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Irrespective of the exercise aspect of this proposal, does anyone think that an event of this size and nature is appropriate for a 14 week old puppy to attend where it is FORCED into being in the middle of a crowd etc?
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >