Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Over population creeping into town, now that is a blinkered view point, it is towns that are creeping outwards taking over ground that was once home to many of the wild creatures that are hunted, dug up - slaughtered and torn apart
And then humans catching up injured/ill foxes, treating them, and releasing them into the countryside to fend for themselves in an unknown environment, without the appropriate skills to survive.

I'd be interested to know what your solution is to the growing population of humans, if you believe that we don't need to control populations just because we've taken over *their* land?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Sure you understand that the CONTEXT is entirely different here?

One being accidental, not encouraged and infrequent, the other being purposeful and encouraged?

Peoples poor attempts at making analogies to try and somehow justify bloodsport are quite amusing.

The analogy is not about the pet or hound that kills, its the attitude or hypocrisy of the human who seems to think its OK, if its an accident, but not if its by design.

The prey is still chased, and killed , the end result is the same.

One dog inflicting the fatal blow, what happens after that is immaterial to the dead prey.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And you've witrnessed this first hand??? I ask because here in the real world the lead hound delivers the fatal bite-then the others rip it apart...maybe like what a domestic dog does to a rabbit perhaps.
Its not what people want to hear, they would rather believe the fox is ripped to shreds ALIVE...

Mind the rabbit will be alive when the pet dog catches it too, . but then thats an accident so its OK¬¬
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Do you dislike cats? orcas? as a general group because they seem to take pleasure in killing?

I think I know the answer already.
Ive yet to see or hear of a cat that went out to kill and tear apart a fox either as a single or pack - you are veering off topic
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Ive yet to see or hear of a cat that went out to kill and tear apart a fox either as a single or pack - you are veering off topic
i think its meant in reference to an animal killing another for enojyment..
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
It is interesting

The whole perception of this kind of thing in humans (including myself) is very interesting.

Like Tarimoor said earlier, we are disgusted at the stress put on a fox being chased by hounds, but will go to the supermarket and by chicken that has most likely spent it's whole life being stressed at unnatural confined conditions it's forced to live in. At least the fox's life is "natural" until the day it get's chased by the hounds!

Dogs exist because we created them (as in selectively bred from wolves, not some god-like creation ) so it's deemed unnatural, but would anyone bat an eyelid at a wolf pack hunting down a fox and eating it? If they did it would just be "nature," yet dogs are exempt from behaving like the carnivore ancestors?

What if a pack of wild dogs did it? Would this be classed the same as a pack of fox-hounds doing it? Is it the human influence that makes the divide?

Er yes, lets face it, if there were no humans there would be no fox hound packs..............
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
What I find difficult to stomach at times though is that the shoot fraternity love and respects the countryside and the birds (well, other than raptors ) but to the detriment of all that can be classed as predators. Foxes, stoats, weasels, etc are all wiped out to protect the birds. I would prefer to see a happy medium.
Really? Wiped out? I think the Grouse moors you know must be very different to the ones I do. Thats an incredible sweeping and very untrue statement.

You specifically breed sheep, keep them a few weeks and then slaughter them to eat, you think thats ok. (So do I ) however you defend it vehemently from those that do not agree yet dont appear to respect those who shoot, I dont understand that. I absolutely know that if you had Fox predation on your flocks you would deal with them, and that wouldnt be by shooing them off or asking them politely to leave!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Over population creeping into town, now that is a blinkered view point, it is towns that are creeping outwards taking over ground that was once home to many of the wild creatures that are hunted, dug up - slaughtered and torn apart
Its not blinkered, its true. Im LIVING in it and seeing it every day, and dealing with it too. To my knowledge my town has not encroached on ANY countryside, yet the numbers of urban foxes are increasing. Why is that?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its not blinkered, its true. Im LIVING in it and seeing it every day, and dealing with it too. To my knowledge my town has not encroached on ANY countryside, yet the numbers of urban foxes are increasing. Why is that?
because of the ban
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
my point being that it doesnt matter whether the dog was a stray or not, a hounds instinct is always to hunt. it doesnt matter whether it be out with a person, or on its own.
of course

but as i already said, what you keep writing i already said

i think you are misunderstanding my post and why it was made
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:32 PM
[/COLOR]

Er yes, lets face it, if there were no humans there would be no fox hound packs..............
But if all humans died out tomomorow, there would be packs of feral dogs, who may (or may not) hunt in pack and kill a fox. Is that ok because there are no humans chasing after them on horserback?

What about Lions who kill a Leopard? Or dogs who kill other dogs? Or wolves. We are ultimately just tapping into the animals predatory instinct
Page 17 of 27 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »