At least someone does!
awwww.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Because a gun is indiscriminate.

I will shoot any fox regardless of age or condition because im asked to while hounds usually only take the elderly or sick as they dont have the stamina to get away.Its these foxes which cause the most problems for gameshoots and poultry owners etc because they take the easier method for feeding.

Dawn is correct with lamping them,but i have better success with a squeeker-literally whats inside a dog toy and a good smelly bait like a split open rabbit.
And have seen a gun being indescriminate first hand on the shoot i go on, the guns are encouraged to shoot a fox,,,,, if they can guarantee a clean shot and nobody is behind, they managed to get one last week, a dog fox in the prime of its life, gorgeous animal, i have to confess i understand why it had to be killed (managed pheasant estate) but do confess to being sad to see this animal cut down in the prime of its life, and have to wonder if it would have got away if it was being hunted
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Most of those I know who are remotely involved with fox hunting are not at all 'Toffs', many are ordinary working folk. I find that sort of accusation distasteful, as for enjoying hunting or shooting, I love it, as I love eating meat and have respect for the animals I eat. Most people don't understand where their meat comes from and are happy to eat some anonymous cling filmed package of meat bought from the supermarket, with no knowledge of how that animal lived or died, and therefore no guilt about any suffering it may have endured either throughout life, or at the time of it's death.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
F

I think the comparison of a pet dog killing a wild animal to fox hunting is ridiculous. I will admit that Jake has killed rabbits, every time though the ONLY reason he actually managed to catch them, was because he caught them by surprise. He caught them quick, and he killed them quick. It is certainly not something I encourage, but sometimes these things do just happen... twice he has killed them, and I didn't even know the rabbit was there until he killed it! That is very different to if he chased a rabbit for a huge distance while it ran, terrified, for its life, only to be them torn apart alive.

Comparing a pet dog to a hound is not ridiculous, they are both chasing , killing a wild animal, and , do you think the rabbit chased and caught by your pet dog is any less terrified because your pet has chased and killed it.

Do you think your pet dispatches the wild rabbit with more grace than the hound, you you think the rabbit is any less dead or has a better death by your pet compared to the hound.

Does the pet not rip a part the rabbit to eat it ( if owner allows) is the ripping apart any more tolerable when its done by the pet dog.

The hound dispatches the fox quickly and cleanly, the fox will be dead by the time it is ripped apart (if its ripped apart)

There is a huge hypocracy here it seems.

Propadanda is being thrown around a lot , the fox is chased for miles exhausting it , ripping a live animal to shreds, is one of the biggest.

The next time Jake chases and kills something, ask yourself did the rabbit feel any less trauma or was any less dead, because your pet killed it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Most of those I know who are remotely involved with fox hunting are not at all 'Toffs', many are ordinary working folk. I find that sort of accusation distasteful, as for enjoying hunting or shooting, I love it, as I love eating meat and have respect for the animals I eat. Most people don't understand where their meat comes from and are happy to eat some anonymous cling filmed package of meat bought from the supermarket, with no knowledge of how that animal lived or died, and therefore no guilt about any suffering it may have endured either throughout life, or at the time of it's death.
More propaganda, if those who throw the "toffs" accusation around, actually went to meet those who hunt , they may realise the truth.

ALL walks of life hunt, if you can afford the subscription , have a horse to sit on , you can hunt...
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Very very much agree with this.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Then why would around 80% of us do what we do? I personally am not a farmer,or landowner,but i am however asked to cull various species and why do i do this-because i enjoy shooting.Should i stop because i feel no remorse or continue?

If there wasnt people who took an active role in countryside management who would do it?
Do you enjoy the shooting, or the killing?

I'm sorry (well, no I'm not actually sorry) but I think anyone who kills for ENJOYMENT are the worst kind. It is the trait that makes me dislike the human race as a general group.

People on here are often horrified by the way some dogs are treated... sometimes by physical abuse, sometimes by being passed from pillar to post, being bred from continuous... yet, it seems to be much more acceptable to some, to kill a fox in a horrific way (fox hunting, not shooting).

Sometimes animals do need to be killed (even though I don't always agree with it), but it should be because it is needed, and not because it is enjoyed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Then why would around 80% of us do what we do? I personally am not a farmer,or landowner,but i am however asked to cull various species and why do i do this-because i enjoy shooting.Should i stop because i feel no remorse or continue?

If there wasnt people who took an active role in countryside management who would do it?
People choose not to look at the bigger picture Steve, always have. If they saw the MASSIVE increase of mange ridden animals, over population creeping further into towns etc.. and the REAL harm these animals do, they may think again. However they choose not to see any of it. Still Rats, Wasps etc.. all get slaughtered, trapped, poisoned, gassed etc.. why are they different?

I too enjoy shooting. Rough shooting. I njoy working the dogs too, I wont stop for peoples ignorance or blinkered view of the bigger picture. I have no hang ups with anything I do.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Comparing a pet dog to a hound is not ridiculous, they are both chasing , killing a wild animal, and , do you think the rabbit chased and caught by your pet dog is any less terrified because your pet has chased and killed it.

I didn't say a hound, I said FOX HUNTING.

The chase of a dog and rabbit is generally quick, at least when my dog has chased them coz they are always close to the burrows. That is MUCH different to being chased for miles, terrified for their life. Yes, the rabbit would be terrified for a few seconds, but the vast majority get away from all the dogs I know... and a short burst of fear is natural to a small prey animal.

Also, my dog has always killed them exceptionally fast, just a quick shake and that is it. Not being ripped apart.

That is MUCH nicer than what a fox goes through during a fox hunt.

Do you think your pet dispatches the wild rabbit with more grace than the hound, you you think the rabbit is any less dead or has a better death by your pet compared to the hound.
I think the wild rabbit gets a much faster death, and goes through much less terror due to the quickness of the chase and kill. Knowing you have a pack of hounds on your tail for miles isn't exactly a nice trip through the countryside for the fox!

Does the pet not rip a part the rabbit to eat it ( if owner allows) is the ripping apart any more tolerable when its done by the pet dog.
The rabbit is dead by then, the rabbit is not ripped apart alive! (not by Jake, or any of the other dogs I know who have killed rabbits in the past).

The hound dispatches the fox quickly and cleanly, the fox will be dead by the time it is ripped apart (if its ripped apart)
Ha, I don't believe that for one second! The rest of the hounds aren't going to sit patiently until the other hound has killed the fox. Also, dead foxes have been examined and found that the 'quick nip' that pro-fox hunters say kills the fox, isn't there! I've read many times about foxes being torn apart alive by the hounds... and other poor animals that are unfortunately found along the way! It is much easier for a dog to give a small animal like a rabbit a quick shake to kill, than a hound with an animal the size of a fox... I just don't buy it, it's not that quick.

There is a huge hypocracy here it seems.
Aye, whatever you say

Propadanda is being thrown around a lot , the fox is chased for miles exhausting it , ripping a live animal to shreds, is one of the biggest.
That is because it happens.

The next time Jake chases and kills something, ask yourself did the rabbit feel any less trauma or was any less dead, because your pet killed it.
Yes, it would. It is quick, and a clean kill. The chase is quick, and the kill is quick. Of course the rabbit is no less dead, but as a prey animal it is eaten so not a needless death in that sense.

I would just like to add that Jake catches them rarely... and usually coz he surprises them... otherwise they are gone before he is anywhere near... and they actually casually just hop back down the burrows when they see him (or any dog) coming.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-01-2012, 10:40 AM

I didn't say a hound, I said FOX HUNTING.
What do you think is used on FOX HUNTING..........

The chase of a dog and rabbit is generally quick, at least when my dog has chased them coz they are always close to the burrows. That is MUCH different to being chased for miles, terrified for their life. Yes, the rabbit would be terrified for a few seconds, but the vast majority get away from all the dogs I know... and a short burst of fear is natural to a small prey animal.

Also, my dog has always killed them exceptionally fast, just a quick shake and that is it. Not being ripped apart.

That is MUCH nicer than what a fox goes through during a fox hunt.

I think the wild rabbit gets a much faster death, and goes through much less terror due to the quickness of the chase and kill. Knowing you have a pack of hounds on your tail for miles isn't exactly a nice trip through the countryside for the fox!

The rabbit is dead by then, the rabbit is not ripped apart alive! (not by Jake, or any of the other dogs I know who have killed rabbits in the past).

Ha, I don't believe that for one second! The rest of the hounds aren't going to sit patiently until the other hound has killed the fox. Also, dead foxes have been examined and found that the 'quick nip' that pro-fox hunters say kills the fox, isn't there! I've read many times about foxes being torn apart alive by the hounds... and other poor animals that are unfortunately found along the way! It is much easier for a dog to give a small animal like a rabbit a quick shake to kill, than a hound with an animal the size of a fox... I just don't buy it, it's not that quick.

Aye, whatever you say

That is because it happens.

Yes, it would. It is quick, and a clean kill. The chase is quick, and the kill is quick. Of course the rabbit is no less dead, but as a prey animal it is eaten so not a needless death in that sense.

I would just like to add that Jake catches them rarely... and usually coz he surprises them... otherwise they are gone before he is anywhere near... and they actually casually just hop back down the burrows when they see him (or any dog) coming.
Aye, whatever you say

You go on beleiving the terror your pet is inflicting is lesser then the hounds.
Page 10 of 27 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »