View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lab~Husky
New Member!
Female 

14-11-2005, 10:19 AM

Puppy four and a half months old attention seeking behaviour ?

Right we have having quite a few problems and they have only been happening recently. Abbie is a 4 and a half month old chocolate lab and she is usually well behaved but recently (the last few weeks) she has been being a naughty little girl

She goes to training and is on her 2nd course type thingy because she moved up, but we havnt got a chance to talk to the trainer about it yet so....

She keeps lungeing at us!... and growling when we have something she wants of if she wants attention! - we stand up and turn away from her, we even leave the room but it doesnt work! She keeps on doing it!

She barks at anything and everyhitng, this isnt a big problem exept when in the evenings we want a nice cup of tea and watch telly she demands attention, so when we take her in the kitchen or in her pen, she barks, and barks, and barks and just wont stop... for hours she does it no matter how many toys she has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She has also started ignoring out commands like she used to go down as soon as we said and now she wont even sit UNLESS ITS FOR FOOD... the only way she will do anyhting is for food food food and i am worried that when we are out and she is in danger, she will only listen to me if i have food!.... .

thanks
Lab~Husky
New Member!
Female 

14-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Oh and another thing, is a female dog humping her toys a normal thing?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lab~Husky
Oh and another thing, is a female dog humping her toys a normal thing?
apparently, it's not uncommon...

As for the rest, could just be a pup pushing her luck so be firm, consistent and persistant. I'm sure someone will be along soon with more detailed advise.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Cassie used to hump everything in site when she was younger as well.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2005, 11:26 AM
shes trying to get attention by using her voice. she is demanding attention as and when she wants it. you need to get this under control hol my girl is vocal always has been from being a pup and will bark to get attention i just ignore her if she keeps doing it i tell her quite in a sturn voice.
if she continues try it on i give her a time out in the kitchen.
the thing that worrys me more is the fact she will only work if theres a treat involved.
i would stop giving her them and teach her she has to work to please and other things thatn treats (ie play a game/attention)
if she craves attention make her work for it i know its hard to do but she has to learn she gets what you give her when you think shes earnt it not on demand.
plus she is only a pup but you need to keep the control now for the future.
take the toys away she only has them when you give them her dont let her help herself to anything.
toys food attention all has to be controlled and given by you, not when she wants it.
this will help her to learn your the boss and she has to please to get the reward.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Sounds like Abbie is trying to push her luck and boundaries like Leo says, take her back to the basics and see ho wit goes.

Also, now is a good time to start NILIF

NILIF CLICK HERE
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:41 AM
I would say she need a lot of "brainwork", NILIF could be an idea, maybe get her into some tracking or field search..

She needs to use her nose and her brain.

So a combination of being bored and pushing her luck..
Lab~Husky
New Member!
Female 

14-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your help