View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Rang around locally and can only find vets that do Duramune (which Loki had initially) and Quantum. . No Intervet.
You`re in luck L/S Duramine is made by Fort Dodge & gives immunity for 3yrs, how lucky is that he stocks it

http://www.goodnewsforpets.com/news/...4_Duramune.htm

print it out & show him
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 06:21 PM
What about Quantum Christine? My lot have been boosted with that. I haven't had them back this year for thier booster, but, if Quantum only has a years immunity, then I'll take them and have them done.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 06:24 PM
All these 3yr vaccs, and the Vet charges the SAME price each year!

Hi Joedee.
May I ask why you titre test your dogs? Reason being it only measures circulating antibodies, NOT immunity, memory cells measure immunity and they cannot be measured. Leptospirosis does not illicit titres at all, so you cannot even measure titres in that case. A high titre level only means your dogs memory cells have mounted a response to a disease it has immunity to, i.e a disease it has come into contact with, like Parvo for example, a low titre level means they have not come into contact with that disease recently, so the memory cells have not mounted a response.

I went the same route as you, then was filled in by the Uni!

Dawn.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks Christine. I'll ring my vets and speak to them about this. It says it has data for 3 years against parvo, distemper and adenovirus but that Leptospirosis, Corona, Giardia, Bordetella and Lyme disease still need to be done annually.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Will look it up for you W
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2005, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Thanks Christine. I'll ring my vets and speak to them about this. It says it has data for 3 years against parvo, distemper and adenovirus but that Leptospirosis, Corona, Giardia, Bordetella and Lyme disease still need to be done annually.
Ok I`ve give you info about Lepto & thers more about it in the likns.
Corona virus only affects pups under 8wks of age. NOT recommended.
Giarda is NOT recommended.
Bordatella is kennel cough.
Lyme disease is not a prob in UK & isn`t vaccinated against.

So its just the 2, Lepto & kennel cough that you need to decide about
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2005, 04:49 AM
OK guys this is a general for everyone post

The evidence is there, boosters are not necessary. Doesn`t matter what make of vaccine you use, they are all much of a muchness & once an animal has immunity, giving further boosters will not, can not, does not make it any more immune. You cannot be more immune, you either are or aren`t. In fact there is evidence that the antibodies already there, block any future vaccines given & the risk of adverse reactions increases with each booster given.

I know its not easy reading & some of its way over the top but each & every animal owner has to make this desicion every single yr & you owe it to yourselves & them to learn the basics about vax/boosters Don`t do it every year just because your vet says to. Find out, ask why should it be done, is it really necessary?? question your vet print out some of the stuff & show it to them. The scientific research has been done by some of the worlds top vet virologists so if they disagree its them they disagreeing with
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2005, 05:03 AM
It looks like Intervet & Fort Dodge have been joined by Merial=Eurocan vax & Pfizer=Vanguard vax Their vaccine immunity have been extended to 3yrs Please not these are NOT new vax, the immunity of them has been extended from 1 to 3 yrs.

Have a look what I found, sorry but can`t give a link to it so I`ve copy & pasted it

*TRENDS magazine - March/April 2004
Response from Dr. Bob Rogers

The vaccination quandary centers around the fact that AAHA, the AAFP (Association of Feline Practitioners and most veterinary schools recommend core vaccines every three years, while manufacturer labels suggest annual re-administration. The [article] failed to point out a legal opinion obtained by the AAFP and published in their guidelines, which states: “The FDA does not regulate vaccines, so the Animal Medical Drug Usage Clarification Act, AMBUCA, does not apply to vaccines.” Hence there is nothing legally binding about vaccine label recommendations. Furthermore, the AVMA Council on Biologic and Therapeutic agents has written, “There is no scientific evidence to support annual re-administration.” Merial and Intervet now guarantee their vaccines as good for three years. Researchers from Pfizer have published an article in JAVMA [Jan 2004] demonstrating their vaccines are good for at least three years.

...As was addressed by the AAFP guidelines, informed consent centers on the principle of a reasonable client. Would a reasonable client elect to purchase and have administered to their pet corona vaccine if given the information that dogs over 6 weeks of age do not get any disease from corona virus infection? ... Or that there are between 11 and 28 cases of Lepto per year out of 11 million dogs in the state? If the issue came into question in court, the information needed to obtain informed consent would depend, not on what the DVM chose to tell the cliend, but on what a reasonable client would need to know to make an informed decision. ...

It is discouraging to see remarks like, “Why change? I’ve never had a problem,” when 22,000 fibrosarcomas are diagnosed by histopathology by veterinary pathologists every year. It is discouraging to see in print, “There’s not a lot of scientific data.” Duration of immunity studies by serology have been done by Dodds, Mouzin, Lorenzen, Haworth and King, and challenge studies have been done by Scott, Lappin, Schultz and Aubert. The AAFP recommendations list 74 references, and the AAHA [canine vaccine] guidelines list many more.

More importantly, studies show that re-administration of vaccine has no effect. Antibodies from a previous vaccine block the vaccine from working, just like maternal antibodies can block a vaccine from working. Tizard has published that it may not be possible to stimulate a further immune response. In the August 15, 1995, JAVMA, Schultz wrote, “The client is paying for something with no effect, except it exposes the pet to the risk of an adverse reaction.” The real legal issue is; Is it a misrepresentation to charge for a vaccine that has no benefit?

There is ample data, AAHA, the AAFP, the AVMA, and the ACVIM and 22 [veterinary] schools all agree. Their consensus is the community standard. This is not controversial any more.

Bob Rogers, DVM

And take a look at the link below, they are starting sue vets that are recommending boosters, ok its in the US but won`t be long before it happens in UK.

http://www.childresslaw.net/CM/Custom/Custom52.asp
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Now heres what I`ve found about Schering Plough=Quantum vax.
They are also saying their vax gives immunity for 3yrs but I can`t find it publicly. I`ve found it in the link below so you`d have to print it out & show your vet & also ask him for the product info leaflet. I`ll give the link bu
t copy the bit that says it cos its at the end of a long page. Its an advert only vets see & looks like the vax is called Procyon Dog

*“Option to boost annually for leptospirosis and parainfluenza”
“Flexibility and choice in your vaccination protocols”
Vaccination schedule with revaccination with Procyon Dog DA2PPi/CvL every 3 years, and vaccinations with L/Pi in the interim years” *

I`ll give you a explanation for what the letters stand for
The D=Distemper, A=Adno, P=Parvo, Pi=Para-influenza, Cv=Corona & L=Lepto
But there other vax like quantum must have the sam immunity duration

The link below is where the above comes from
http://www.noah.co.uk/code/summary2004.htm
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Another link from UK vet Nick Thompson, read what he says about Lepto.

http://www.britfeld.com/vaccine-thompson.htm
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >