Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2005, 07:56 AM

Boosters & Vaccines, more from C O `Driscoll

Heres the latest from Catherine O Driscoll

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

And for anyone who hasn`t read the one before, its below

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/are...much_8003.html

Whats the general thinking on vaxs & boosters?
I`ve seen both sides, used to make sure all my dogs were upto date with them, the same with the visiting dogs when I used to run my own boarding kennels.
Then saw what the first puppy vax did to my litter of 8wk old pup 4yrs ago & thats when I had to find out more about vaxs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Looks interesting, thank you Christine...will read later
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2005, 08:08 AM
You`re welcome Mini
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm still confused by it all - I will read the articles later when I have more time but I lost a cat to feline leukaemia because she wasn't vaccinated and I also potentially could have lost my other 4 cats but they were not infected and have now all been vaccinated. Saying that my dogs should have had their boosters this year but I want to do it every couple of years instead. I'm very confused still I don't want to cause harm to my pets but I don't want them dying from a preventable disease either.

I guess I still have a lot more reading to do
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2005, 08:40 AM
The Intervet & Fort Dodge vax for adno/parvo/distemper only needs be given 3 yearly Em

What are you confused about, maybe I can help?

ps if your vet uses those make of vax he can`t give them any more often than 3 yearly
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2005, 08:50 AM
very intresting! I lost My other Dog at 4 years old they told me She had a Brain Tumer! But to me she look No difrent But she Started Being Nasty With other Dog! And one day She Got Nasty With me, So then I thought Ok the vets were Right! so We had to have her Put to Sleep that Broke My heart, Now im thinking Was it The Boosters She had? becouse My new Pup has Just had them and They have Now Told me We need the Extra Parvo Booster,, Becouse She will be Doing Aglity and Flyball. And She Is A Full Border collie?
Hear is a Pitures Of My Other Dog with the Tumer!
Does this Look like a Nasty Dog to you? she had been With us Only 2 YEARS AS We got her From Collie Rescue.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 09:07 AM
ps if your vet uses those make of vax he can`t give them any more often than 3 yearly
There's nothing to stop a vet giving this vaccine more often if they want to

We lost a cavalier due to vaccinosis-had an independant PM done & the forensic pathogolist found that the vaccine was directly involved. The vaccine company refuted her findings because she wasn't a vet ! No she's one of the top pathogolists in the world but the vaccine company say she's not qualified enough ! Very odd that as she has actually done some work for the same company !!!!!

My dogs fet their puppy vaccs & the nosodes after that & their titre levels are tested yearly
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi C/L she looks a lovely dog, very sad you had to give her sleep

I`m not sure what you mean by *extra parvo booster*??
How old is your pup & whats she been vaxed against already & when? You can find this info in her vax book, there will be little stickers with initials on them & dates when they were given
Its a lot of reading to do to understand vaccines, takes time as well but I can give more links on info for them when/if you want to read more
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Last year my girls had just the lepto booster, they are due again and I'm not sure what to do about it. Having read both sides still not sure. Do you think they should have full boosters before thinking about further litters - NO PLANS FOR ANY MORE YET - but is it important for them to be vaccinated before pups?

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2005, 09:30 AM
At the moment my 2 are getting their boosters every 3 years

With boxers not being a long lived breed they will probably only receive 3 or 4 boosters through their lifetime this way.

The whole thing is confusing and you dont know what to do for the best. I would also like to see independant evidence for vaccinating as well as against.

Like Emm I have lost a cat to feline leukaemia and it still haunts me to this day that I could have vaccinated against it. I was lucky that my other cat was not affected so he was vaccinated right away and lived til he was 15 years.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »