Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'd better tell my vets about that one coz the vet nurses down there swear by the stuff! I'm off to Google coz I can't believe what one person has said on Dogsey about that quite honestly, I use gallons of Sudocreme and always have, even though my dog licks it off sometimes, and I'm sure they must have to eat a whole bit tub of it for it to cause liver problems imo!

To clear the zinc thing up then!
QUOTE: "In dogs, normal dietary concentrations of zinc are ~80 to 120 ppm on a dry weight basis.3 There is no known minimal toxic dose for metallic zinc. The lowest dose of zinc salts that causes death in 50% of exposed animals exposed (LD50) is approximately 100 mg/kg of body weight in cases of acute toxicity. Chronic toxicosis in cattle has occurred " unquote. So in the case of my Georgie, he would have to eat 5,500 mgs of zinc itself (he weighs 55kgs) so that equates to quite a few tubs of the stuff in one go then!

I don't really want to go OT but do want to respond to this...could a mod perhaps split this thread please re the sudacrem debate?

There are 1,000 milligrams in 1 gram. Therefore 5,500mg is 5.5 grams. The standard tubs of Sudacrem are sold in 400 gram containers. 5.5 grams is less than 2% of the tub.

It isn't liver problems as I first said, but kidney problems.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes, I agree, now you're scaring me!!!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, I agree, now you're scaring me!!!!!
It did shock me too and I don't think enough people are aware, which is why I didn't want to let this drop.

but I'm still not sure about the quantities since zinc salt is different to the zinc oxide used in the ointment.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Are Monty's paws yeasty at all?

Malaseb is good for yeasty sore feet but you will need to see your vet to get some for the first time.

Finn constantly chews his feet in the autumn when its the mold spore season and a clean with Malaseb every few days keeps things under control.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Are Monty's paws yeasty at all?

Malaseb is good for yeasty sore feet but you will need to see your vet to get some for the first time.

Finn constantly chews his feet in the autumn when its the mold spore season and a clean with Malaseb every few days keeps things under control.
I don't think they're particulary yeasty. I've had a good look tonight and he let me look at the front ones no problem but was not so happy about the back.

Am going to book an appointment for the vets tomorrow as she may be able to spot something that I can't see.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but after I posted earlier, I noticed one of mine limping, so help me her pads were soaking through licking, and all very red inbetween the pads, now I know this is boredom, because I have her seperated from the others because she is in season. and I have not been playing with her much today because I have been a bit ill, I cleaned it in hibiscrub, lathered a load of sudocreme on it. put a non stick pad on and bandaged it up. I then put a running boot over the top to keep it all in place and shoved a buster collar on her head lol, and then I come on here and see sudocrem is not recommended? I am guessing it will be alright if she cannot lick it? I have used it before on the dogs to no ill effects?

Mo
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but after I posted earlier, I noticed one of mine limping, so help me her pads were soaking through licking, and all very red inbetween the pads, now I know this is boredom, because I have her seperated from the others because she is in season. and I have not been playing with her much today because I have been a bit ill, I cleaned it in hibiscrub, lathered a load of sudocreme on it. put a non stick pad on and bandaged it up. I then put a running boot over the top to keep it all in place and shoved a buster collar on her head lol, and then I come on here and see sudocrem is not recommended? I am guessing it will be alright if she cannot lick it? I have used it before on the dogs to no ill effects?

Mo
I've been doing some more reading about it. Too much Zinc is definitely poisonous to dogs, but its all been about if eaten. I can't see anything which suggests it could do them harm on their skin. If she has a buster collar on so she can't lick it, I'm sure she'll be fine.

I've used it before too, I even know that Hoki did lick quite a lot (before I knew about the potential dangers) and it didn't seem to have any adverse affects. But I think its a bit like chocolate - it is worse if it builds up in their system and some dogs are more susceptible than others.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 07:31 PM
lol its good to know as Malamutes can suffer a zinc deficiency lol so if it turn out later in her life she has this I can throw a spponfull of sudocrem down her throat lol, obviously making likght of the subject here.

Mo
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Been watching this thread with interest, because as you know Deacon has a severe skin allergy... he is chewing his feet at the moment too So now he is back on the malaseb shampoo and he has to have a bit of fuciderm gel on his bad paw... but have put some sudocrem on his other red bits, nothing else really calms him when he is irritated, but I use it sparingly, was once recommended to use vaseline lip therapy aloe vera?? Not used it on him, but did use it on Remy's crusty nose!! It soothed that no end... Also use tea tree wipes on D's feet and he likes that as I keep the wipes in the fridge
D Clowes
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Hi, I got here because of my new rescue Westie chewing all 4 of her feet actively. My white dog has 4 brown feet from constant licking! After reading all of this I will take her to the vet. But I joined to reply to the above post about TEA TREE OIL- it is TOXIC when ingested! Check it out on Google- there are numerous listings about it.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >