View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 09:34 AM
thanks everyone. yeah, he is a border collie crossed with what we think is rottweiler. so far he isnt majorly hyper, well not anymore than what a puppy should be lol. will defo change it though, he is going to the vets tomorrow, will he know whats best to feed him? i picked bakers cause my aunt used to feed her dog it. i used to feed my old dog wagg but it never looked taste lol. does it have any serious health affects or just causes hyperness?

lauren
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Your vet will advise you to feed whatever it is they sell so just be careful there, by all means listen to what they say and take it from there. For me I would look into Arden Grange, Burns or James Wellbeloved for a good quality food. If you contact any of these companies they will be more than willing to send you samples for you to try.
Becky
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 09:51 AM
never heard of any of them lol, but i looked up the websites and found that my local pets at home stocks james wellbeloved so think i will try that one with him. will ask the vet his opinion though lol

lauren
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I moved from James Wellbeloved to Skinners. Skinners is a very good dog food, they have a good range or different foods and are very helpful online. They will send you samples and help you choose which of their foods is best for your little one... Collies and Rotweilers I would think would have very different needs nutritionally so you will need to find the one that suits you best... Collies can be quite high energy, high metabolism, where Rotties are slower growing and more prone to fat... but don't trust my word on it, there are much better experts on both breeds here. Skinners is quite a bit cheaper than JWB if cost is a factor...

I have never fed bakers, but have also heard the horror stories from those that have. Selkie my Samoyed is prone to changing colour if the food she eats has too many colours anyway (Pedigree chum made her orange for a week). So Bakers has always looked too colourful for me anyway
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I also found Wainwrights to be a fantastic food, it's not too expensive either x
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I highly doubt Bakers or anything else is a bad as some say.
Actually it is every bit as bad as it is reputed to be. It is full of colourants and additives as well as animal derivative based protein.

I guess you wouldn't feed your kids on a complete tv dinner and fast food diet? Well, it is the doggy equivalent. Just read the ingredients.

Actually, I have been told some packs even warn that it should not be stored near farm animals!! I wonder what the perceived danger is?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Vile muck - please change (gradually) as quickly as possible. Any good quality dry food will be fine; Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved etc.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I gave Poppy (CKCS) Bakers for a few months some time back because it was all she would eat (fussy eater and I tried loads of foods before trying Bakers), I'm now struggling to get the weight off her (she needs to loose 8lb).
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Actually it is every bit as bad as it is reputed to be. It is full of colourants and additives as well as animal derivative based protein.

I guess you wouldn't feed your kids on a complete tv dinner and fast food diet? Well, it is the doggy equivalent. Just read the ingredients.

Actually, I have been told some packs even warn that it should not be stored near farm animals!! I wonder what the perceived danger is?
I find the endless repeating of the fallacy of lower cost dog food being the same as fast foods tiresome. No, they are more like institutional meals planned by nutritionists on a budget. Repeating such nonsense damages your credibility.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bakers
Ingredients:Cereals, Meat and animal derivatives (Minimum 4% fresh meat in the soft moist kernel, minimum 4% chicken in the natural and brown kernels), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin (0.5% beet pulp in the natural and brown kernels), Various sugars, Minerals, Vegetables (minimum 4% vegetables in the green and yellow kernels). With antioxidants, coloured with and preserved with EC additives.p
Compare that to

Originally Posted by Burns
* Brown Rice (min 63%)
* Chicken (min 20%)
* Oats
* Peas
* Chicken Oil
* Sunflower Oil
* Seaweed
* Minerals & Vitamins
Hmmmmmmm.. I know which one I'd choose
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »