Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2006, 07:53 PM

Wireless networking.

My sister is having big problems with her internet at the moment - she keeps losing her internet connection. It was fine yesterday when I was there but at night she tried to get on it again and it said there was a socket error or something

What I was wondering is - can you have just one computer on wireless or does at least one computer have to be plugged into the phone socket. Her son has a sky box upstairs and is always messing about with the connections she said so it might be something to do with this. If you can have one computer on wireless then do you still need a router and one of those usb thingies?
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
My sister is having big problems with her internet at the moment - she keeps losing her internet connection. It was fine yesterday when I was there but at night she tried to get on it again and it said there was a socket error or something

What I was wondering is - can you have just one computer on wireless or does at least one computer have to be plugged into the phone socket. Her son has a sky box upstairs and is always messing about with the connections she said so it might be something to do with this. If you can have one computer on wireless then do you still need a router and one of those usb thingies?
samre as your other thread hun, if a phone is plugged in or say a sky box and isnt on a filter then it will ****** up the broadband.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Apparently she has got a filter on the sky box so its not that but the line has to travel upstairs and then into her sons bedroom where the phone extension socket is and then back into the back bedroom where her computer is - do you think this is why she keeps losing her connection

What I really want to know though is can you have just ONE computer run on wireless? There is a belkin router and usb thingy on offer for £44 at PC World at the moment and with her computer being upstairs don't you think this might be the better option?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-07-2006, 09:08 AM
What I really want to know though is can you have just ONE computer run on wireless? There is a belkin router and usb thingy on offer for £44 at PC World at the moment and with her computer being upstairs don't you think this might be the better option?

I set up my aunts laptop that way. She has her modem and router together behind her TV with all the other sockets and freedom to move around with her laptop.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Carole
I set up my aunts laptop that way. She has her modem and router together behind her TV with all the other sockets and freedom to move around with her laptop.

So would she still have to have her speedtouch modem then that Wanadoo sent her? We have just got a router and my laptop has a card in it to make it wireless and the two upstairs have the usb thingies that you plug in to receive the signals but mine is plugged into the wall - that is what is confusing me - I wondered whether you have to have at least one computer plugged into the phone socket?

So the router doesn't need to be near the computer then?
Carole
Supervisor

01-07-2006, 09:17 AM
You would still need the speedtouch modem I would think. Ours are all set up through NTL but it is the same idea.

Do you use your speedtouch modem in your setup?

You will have the modem plugged into your phone line then into the router. My aunt has her router and modem in her living room downstairs and the laptop either in her conservatory or upstairs in the spare room.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 09:19 AM
You would still need the speedtouch modem I would think. Ours are all set up through NTL but it is the same idea.

You will have the modem plugged into your phone line then into the router. My aunt has her router and modem in her living room downstairs and the laptop either in her conservatory or upstairs in the spare room.

Hmm I'm confused now cos I thought the router replaced the modem We don't use our speedtouch modem at all that wanadoo sent since having the Belkin router

Thanks for all your help Carole
Carole
Supervisor

01-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Hopefully someone with the same broadband will be able to help.

Maybe your router has a modem in it whereas our set up is a bit different.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Hopefully someone with the same broadband will be able to help.

Maybe your router has a modem in it whereas our set up is a bit different.
Okay thanks Carole anyway for your help
Carole
Supervisor

01-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Just had a look at the routers in PC World they are different from mine but it should still work with one pc
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >