View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2015, 12:16 AM

What a night... pedigree treats are now banned!!

My little man is a very greedy ten year poodle with some pretty serious resource guarding issues... He will steal things, and guard the given object (ignoring does not tend to work) so we often have to trade with treats.

Tonight though, he really did me proud. He stole the whole bag of pedigree treats.... Needless to say nobody got bitten we all survived, but now I'm up worrying about the Phenominal number of treats he has managed to scoff in one sitting and what's going to come out the other end.... Let me explain how he out smarted me...

Well it all started 11pm, we are all tucked up in bed. He skulks in and picks up my love film disc that's fallen off my bed... I follow him, with a whole bag of cheese nibbles... (why oh why did I buy pedigree cheese nibbles... Colours colours and more colours something this diva does not need) I start by throwing him nibbles. Slowly it starts to work. I praise him, and distract him away enough to grab the disc. - that's when he outsmarted me... He grabbed the entire bag of nibbles... Disaster.

Ringing the doorbell didn't work, leaving him alone in the room with the lights off didn't help, playing cat noises on my phone and pretending I'm petting an invisible cat in the garden (my neighbors may think I need to be sectioned) well that didn't help. I even threw him real cheese which he ate... But still guarded the treats. He began escalating to the point that someone was going to be bitten.. so I just left him with the treats. He finalky left them when he couldn't get the last few out as his head would not fit. - I'm dreading the after math 1 nil to the dog tonight. But I consider this a lesson. No more pedigree cheese nibbles!! From now on only treats without dodgy e numbers! - and now I will have a pot waiting for the next time he steals something!!

I feel incredibly stupid! Sure I will in the morning even more so!!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2015, 02:08 AM
Oy, my dogs tried that and I'd pretend to cuff the air n' they drop anything they've pilfered. But our friend's dog is a trip with goodies. One day we went to visit. Bella is a puggle and thinks with her tummy.

My daughter left a bag on the couch. The treats were veggie and fruit based stuff my dogs won't touch. We were called out to the front yard briefly. In that time Bella climbed the couch, found the treats in the bag, pulled them out and detonated the bag.

We came in to shreds of packaging and Callie was standing off to the side, his face was wrinkled as if to say " I never saw anything like it".
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2015, 06:05 AM
My little man is a very greedy ten year poodle with some pretty serious resource guarding issues... He will steal things, and guard the given object (ignoring does not tend to work) so we often have to trade with treats.

Tonight though, he really did me proud. He stole the whole bag of pedigree treats.... Needless to say nobody got bitten we all survived, but now I'm up worrying about the Phenominal number of treats he has managed to scoff in one sitting and what's going to come out the other end.... Let me explain how he out smarted me...

Well it all started 11pm, we are all tucked up in bed. He skulks in and picks up my love film disc that's fallen off my bed... I follow him, with a whole bag of cheese nibbles... (why oh why did I buy pedigree cheese nibbles... Colours colours and more colours something this diva does not need) I start by throwing him nibbles. Slowly it starts to work. I praise him, and distract him away enough to grab the disc. - that's when he outsmarted me... He grabbed the entire bag of nibbles... Disaster.

Ringing the doorbell didn't work, leaving him alone in the room with the lights off didn't help, playing cat noises on my phone and pretending I'm petting an invisible cat in the garden (my neighbors may think I need to be sectioned) well that didn't help. I even threw him real cheese which he ate... But still guarded the treats. He began escalating to the point that someone was going to be bitten.. so I just left him with the treats. He finally left them when he couldn't get the last few out as his head would not fit right to the bottom of the bag. - I'm dreading the after math 1 nil to the dog tonight. But I consider this a lesson. No more pedigree cheese nibbles!! From now on only treats without dodgy e numbers! Back to baking liver!- and now I will have a pot waiting for the next time he steals something!!

I feel incredibly stupid! Sure I will in the morning even more so!!

Update - its 6am and I am waiting for all those nibbles to make a reappearance!! do I still feel stupid yes.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Hahaha oh dear!!!!!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2015, 09:50 AM
My Merry Beagle managed to steal 20 or 25 Pedigree Schmakos recently. I waited for the explosion, but nothing happened and all was well.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2015, 04:46 AM
Sad, I've learned to growl "I will hurt you ******", these are the most spoiled dogs you ever will see. Resource guarding? Mommy made that face...ooooh noooo.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
My Merry Beagle managed to steal 20 or 25 Pedigree Schmakos recently. I waited for the explosion, but nothing happened and all was well.
I know, it's crazy isn't it! He had 2 good solid poops (very large!) and then out came a couple of smaller pedigree cheese nibble coloured poops... and that was it. Phew!
Needless to say we have all learnt our lesson!!
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
Sad, I've learned to growl "I will hurt you ******", these are the most spoiled dogs you ever will see. Resource guarding? Mommy made that face...ooooh noooo.
Not sure this would work on my dog, we often joke that he was once a mafia bosses dog, or that of a Bond Villain.
He is just incredibly intelligent, and just seems to like to be in control in most situations such as playing ball
I think he is the only dog I have met, where you throw him the ball, he goes to retrieve it, only to then guard it for 30 minutes afterwards. We have just all learnt to read his behaviour really well, and when and when not to touch him.

Although he is progressing pretty well with his take it/leave it, especially with his big fat beaver toy - but once he wins, or we end the training game he then guards it after.

Interesting enough, I bought him a nina ottoson mind food game, and he does allow me to use hands to help him find the food and load more in.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2015, 05:37 PM
I had to look up that toy. Looks like fun except Callie wouldn't bother manipulating it. Hum, smells like goodies CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH