Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Loki has had a problem with red eyes for a good few weeks now. The vet did tear level tests and stained the eyes and decided it must be conjunctivitis. He was prescribed fucithalmic antibiotic drops for two weeks and although the discharge cleared, the redness persisted.

Then he was prescribed chloramphenicol antibiotics by a new vet for a week. The redness is still there and now she wants him on steroid drops.

I'm not sure what to do because there doesn't seem to be any irritation, i.e. he doesn't scratch or rub at his eyes, nor does he blink etc. It just seems to be redness and the vet thought it was minor.

Is there anything else I can try at home? I am reluctant to go back to the vets over the next couple of days because Loki has just had fits and I would want to wait until he is over them. I am worried to give steroid drops.

Thanks.

Has your vet mentioned Glaucoma , it is only a thought as Bandit has just been diagnosed with it...

One of the first signs of Glaucoma is redness to the eye.. but your vet needs to do a pressure test on the eye.. with a special pressure pencil (cant think of the name??).... normal reading is around 25 I think, Bandits reading was 27 so just on the edge..he now has a reading of 17 after a couple of weeks on meds.

Worht asking the question.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks Jackbox. Yes, I mentioned Glaucoma but she don't seem to feel it could be this. I'm sorry to hear about Bandit - it is important that they catch it quickly, isn't it? The vet I mentioned it to was just out of education so I might try to speak with one who has more experience. I don't mean any offence to vets with little experience .
Thanks.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

30-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Thanks Jackbox. Yes, I mentioned Glaucoma but she don't seem to feel it could be this. I'm sorry to hear about Bandit - it is important that they catch it quickly, isn't it? The vet I mentioned it to was just out of education so I might try to speak with one who has more experience. I don't mean any offence to vets with little experience .
Thanks.
I would also try and speak to a more experienced vet.

I have a paticular vet I like to see (have every faith in him) but he was away or I could not get hold of him fro the first 3 visits ... they treated Bandit for conjunctivitis , but it would not go away...in the end I insisted and waited to see Will,.... he suspected Glaucoma straight away acted accordingly

So it may be worth getting a second opinion.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Dogs' eyes are not dissimilar to human eyes and can be similarly treated.

I went to buy Golden Eye ointment last week and the chemist recommended Optrex cream which has an antibiotic and used to only be available on prescription.

I have been using for the past few days on Mandy's sticky eye and it certainly is helping to clear it up.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

30-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Dogs' eyes are not dissimilar to human eyes and can be similarly treated.

I went to buy Golden Eye ointment last week and the chemist recommended Optrex cream which has an antibiotic and used to only be available on prescription.

I have been using for the past few days on Mandy's sticky eye and it certainly is helping to clear it up.
That may be very well true , but if something more sinister is going on.. the sooner it is treated the better...

I remember an old vet of mine yrs ago, (regarding horses) said to me.... never second guess eye problems... it can escalate in not time at all, and you could end up with a blind animal... and as it was horses we where talking about then..meant the animal will have to be PTS.

It is something I have always taken to heart... and any form of eye infection... we are down to the vet...asap.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would also try and speak to a more experienced vet.

I have a paticular vet I like to see (have every faith in him) but he was away or I could not get hold of him fro the first 3 visits ... they treated Bandit for conjunctivitis , but it would not go away...in the end I insisted and waited to see Will,.... he suspected Glaucoma straight away acted accordingly

So it may be worth getting a second opinion.
Thanks - I will try to speak to one of the senior vets.
Thanks.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi - just an update:

Went back to the vet. She spent ages examining his eyes - she didn't do a glaucoma pressure test because the instrument was at the other surgery , however she seems convinced it isn't because of other clinical signs that are lacking.

Anyway, he's been prescribed eye drops containing steroids and more antibiotics. I didn't want to give steroids but after the first couple of attempts, didn't know what else to do really.

Poor Loki, I have to give them three times daily for a week and he hates them.

x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear about Loki with these red eyes. I don't think you need to worry too much about the use of steroid in an application like this, because when Georgie wasn't allowed steroids anymore, he was prescribed the topical cream containing steroids and the vet told me not to worry because it was nothing like the steroids they had been injection. I suppose it's such a minute amount in an eye drop that you really have no cause for concern.

Let's hope they clear up soon, and sending some get better hugs for dear Loki whilst I'm here.xxxxxxxx (((((((((((hugs)))))))))
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Aw thanks Helen - I do worry about him, especially with the epilepsy and I hate drugs .

Thank you - I will keep an eye on it, keep giving the drops and hope it clears up. It's been going on for ages so I hope it clears up soon.

He also has a chest wound - looks like something from a sharp stick, so we are also bathing and keeping an eye on this.
Arghghgh!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2