Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 08:48 PM

Horrible child...even worse parent!!

Picture the scene (sounds like the start to an episode of Golden Girls!!) 2008 Stein Isle of Skye, the sun is beginning to set, peace and tranquility all around, I am just finishing my 2nd bottle of Stella, OH has gone in to the bar ( we are sitting outside with Ben) A child approaches Ben, he is approx 6 or 7 years old and is very cautious.

I call Ben closer to me and he obediently comes, the youngest of the adults who own the child calls out to me that"it's fine he's great with dogs we have 2" I explain Ben is very friendly but can be a bit boisterous, again I hear "he knows ALL about dogs it's fine"

Gradually the child comes towards Ben who is very excited and happy at the attention. THEN the 2 adults (40ish and 50ish) come towards the table, OH still inside getting drinks, they sit at same table as me and Ben and the child continues to stroke Ben.

Suddenly I feel Ben tense and he pushes himself against my legs and his head is arched right over his back, I look under the table and his ears are flat against his head, AND the child has a hold of Ben's ears, pulling them upwards and blowing in them

I tell him no Ben doesn't lioke that and the child speaks back in a foreign language

I ask the guy to stop "his son" and he says something in a foreign language and the wee boy goes away down to the beach (with no supervision) OH comes back, he has ordered food. The 2 adults think that is a good idea and follow suite. Then they call child back to table I make sure Ben is in sight, the child sits at table then as I am eating my tea, I feel Ben tense again and look to see child has crawled under table and is now pulling Ben's eyelids and blowing in his eyes!!!!

Well the plot was lost, 3 bottles of Stella and an unhappy puppy!! I asked them to control their child and they said if I couldn't trust my dog he should be muzzled!! WTF??

A table became vacant and we noisily left with me stating how upset I was that the child was allowed to do what it wanted and it was only a matter of time before some poor dog got the blame of an attack.

We sat at another table finished tea and child continued to play in the garden and down by the sea shore with no supervision.

I have to say if I was Ben I would have thought hard about biting child!

Thankfully it didn't happen, and I am in no way condoning an attack but that is the type of behaviour which IMO could easily have provoked one, from dog OR OWNER!!!!!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
What a horrid experience!

Hope Ben is ok . x
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Pfft, some people think they're so entitled if you're stupid enough to let your kid blow in an animals eyes then you shouldn't be breeding in the first place.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Well done to Ben xxxxxxx

Can not understand some parents

What must thier two dogs have to put up with
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:41 PM
That would have made me so angry The child will end up hurt and some poor dog will be blamed, not the idiot parents.
Children really need to be educated about dogs. If they have dogs of their own I feel very sorry for them. Imagine what how they must be treated.
fonz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
God

I don't know how you kept your temper, I feel like blowing my top just reading your message! It's highly annoying whenever thoughtless parents/carers immediately assume that the dog is in the wrong & don't exercise responsibility over their children.

Helen & Fonz
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
i'm gobsmacked- what horrible things to do to a dog- if that didnt wind him up i dont know what would.
hope it doesnt put Ben off kids- wouldnt blame him though. and i wouldnt have blamed him if he'd have snapped at the little git- maybe you should ve threatened to bite the kid for him lol
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 10:21 PM
We had something similar happen about 12 months ago to Tyler only by an adult
She kept pulling his ears,even when asked not too.

Some people ain't got the brains they were born with.
I can see where your coming from and how many dogs would have put up with having their ears and eyes blown into,without biting.

Some of these parents are as bad as there kids.

I would have been tempted to tread on his fingers under the table
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't think Kismet would have been as patient. Well done Ben. Kismet is still in the snap at pain or irritation phase of her puppyhood and we're working on it, but she would have snapped at that provocation for sure.

Selkie is more or less bombproof, she has been used as a nursery pat dog, but all dogs have their limits and Selkie has been known to give a warning yip and gruff at kids who push too far.. It only takes a neurotic and stupid parent to turn that into a court case!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Well done Ben. Stupid Parents letting their children do that no wonder you lost your temper.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >