Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Can anyone help?

Hey as you may know i have a 5 month old lab , ruby, she is a fantastic dog, very good with people and very well behaved.

One problem is that when she sees another dog, either on or off lead she will bark, she will run up to the dog barking, then just be really really friendly and play with it, why does she do this!!??

She is very very friendly with other dogs, but she has to bark at them when she sees them!
Whats going on lol!!!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Maybe she's just saying hello :smt102
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2004, 06:55 PM
i dont know gems maybe it is just over excitement?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Star used to do that too Gems and got into a few scraps over it.
She did grow out of it and now she hates dogs doing it to her.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Hmmm Bella does something like that too.

So will watch this post...
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2004, 08:57 PM
I can't help but I figure dogs that bark when they see another dog are like people who when talking can't shut up; they just can't help themselves

Karen
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by carole
Star used to do that too Gems and got into a few scraps over it.
She did grow out of it and now she hates dogs doing it to her.
That was exactly what i was worried about carole, she is very friendly but i fear other dogs will misinterprept her and think she wants a fight.

Thanks for the replies guys, i need to get ruby;s attention off the dog and onto me , but its hard she seems focussed cos she wants to go and play, ah well maybe some more people can give some advice, thanks again
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2004, 04:30 AM
Undoubtedly at 5 months of age she does just want to play. However, now is the time to be teaching her good manners. I would keep her under control on a lead until she learns that this behaviour is not acceptable. I am sure I am not the only person that finds loose dogs, even friendly puppies, running up to mine when they are on a lead extremely annoying. If dogs are on a lead it is for a good reason: health, temperament, age, etc.. As you realise, not all dogs are sociable with their own kind, and, sooner or later, Ruby will find this out the hard way. It is slightly different if the other dogs that she approaches are also off lead, one would hope that they are friendly and will recognize the barking as a play invitation. There is no guarantee of this though. Also, be prepared for even a friendly dog to put the pup in her place if she gets too cheeky.

You could try 'setting her up". That is, meet a friend with a dog. Walk towards them. As soon as Ruby starts barking tell her "quiet" or whatever word you use (you need to have trained her to understand the meaning of the command). If she complies continue walking. If she keeps barking turn around and walk away. As soon as she is quiet turn back towards the other dog. Repeat as necessary. The aim is for her to learn that only a quiet approach will get her what she wants, which is to meet the other dog.

The links posted on the "Lead Aggression" thread here might help you to focus her attention (I know it is not aggression but the attention-getting tips could be useful).

Best wishes
SB
kimbastaff
Dogsey Junior

23-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Hi Gems..... As Shadowboxer said... this behaviour is not acceptable... if it continues one day a dog will retaliate, its just a matter of time.... My advice would be to keep her on lead and undercontrol when meeting all new dogs.... she will soon realise that barking is not the answer.... Have you began any training with her at all... I would be approaching the dogs as soon as she starts to react (and this will be prior to the bark) usually a bum and tail wag is first.... make her sit.... she needs to learn to sit calmly at your side.... make the dogs approach her.. rather than allowing her to approach them..... it will take time, remember training is for life....

Donna T.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks SB i thought you'd have some good advice, i will get stuck in with the advice there, and post back

thanks again everyone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >