Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Hello again Eraz and Leo(anyone with advice

I managed to do what you suggested Eraz and its still seems a little quiet to me but maybe all Laptops are...the speakers will be smaller(?)than those you'd get associated with a desktop(?)Are laptops generally quiet soundwise?

Also, the little bulit in speakers in the laptop are directed towards the ceiling so I guess with tv's, video's, hi-fi's etc the sound is facing you. And I suppose most use separate speakers that are louder. So would investing in a different make etc...really make any difference? I can get a refund in the first 28 days so if I was to the earlier I return it must be better(if I was to)

I had to put in some details to get the laptop to work and set up Windows so I could switch it off for the first time anyhow. So if it needs returning I have to ask is there anyway I can remove my name, address and ISP User-name/e-mail address from the Windows set up(thinking if someone else bought the machine having access to such information)

If I keep it...as yet the number it dialled to register Windows kept suggesting to retry(so it looks as though as yet has not registered)

I managed to put in a telephone account for my ISP(hence the User-name and encrypted password)but no matter what I did and how many times I attempted to get onto my ISP it would not allow me to and going through the manual and following the on screen prompts I cannot see why this is.

You start to wonder if the modem is faulty or its something I'm missing upon setting it up(more likely)but again if that was so that would be another acceptable reason to return.

I'm still torn and thinking of keeping it as the other features seem so good.

The more I think of it it probably has my name, ISP details but not my e-mail address in the start up area but I have read that even things removed via the recycle bin facility never really disappear.

Thanks again(sorry to give all this hassle to you)I certainly need friends and advice

Gildy
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi Gildy....I just got a new laptop at Christmas and the sound was very low at first...I was using the function keys to adjust it but even then it didn't seem to get loud enough. So then I tried going into the control panel where there is a 'Sounds' area and started playing around with that and managed to sort it out. I hade to choose what kind of setup I had....ie either laptop or desktop, and what kind of speakers etc, then there were some other settings for playing cds or dvds or just general operating sounds. Anyway...I ramble...my point is that the default settings in this area were not correct so I suspect this might have happened with yours....so you could try having a look in the Control Panel.
As to your Internet connection it may just be that you are entering your connection details wrongly. It might be worth trying to set up a new pay as you go connection ubtil you go onto broadband, or even just try setting one up to see if you can get it to work. if it did then that would tell you that the laptop wasn't faulty
Hope this helps
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Hello Het,
Good to see you. My Mum says...take it back and keeps asking why did I need one
My excuse being that I can use it in the lounge and get on here more...perhaps. Then again if I keep on top of things maybe this will still do everything and...this is £399 cheaper!

You could be right though, I altered the sound on the players etc...on screen, have the laptop volume up as high as it goes and went into the volume control properties(is that the area you mean?)where I went into advanced properties, they are on the highest settings so...

Before trying to get an internet line, I did try to contact Microsoft to register on the number that came up during the setting up of the laptop and that never connected so I wonder if the modem is faulty(I cannot hear any tones whilst it tries to connect just a clunk at the start and end of any attempt to make a connection)

Why does life have to be complicated...at least your own sounds as though its working great. As I say if I return it...how to get my details out will be the next puzzle. I started trying it out at 8pm last evening(purchased late Saturday)but I thought I better be sure it works and not let too much time pass by. Then it took until around 2am to be able to shut down and say that I had had a fair attempt at seeing how/if it worked. And I guess I'll have to switch it back on to remove what I can should it go back. I studied for ages in the shop but when you only have a box to read, I guess that you can only really tell when you get things home.

Hope you are fine and thanks,

Gildyxx
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Gildy....i'm at work so can't quite remember exactly what I did to get there. i am sure I went in to the start menu...opened the Control Panel and there is an icon called Sounds and Audio Devices, I went into that and altered the settings in there.
If you think your Modem might be dodgy have a look at it in the control Panel as well. Open up the System icon, and click on the hardware tab at the top. You should then be able to see your modem listed there. If you double click on it, it will tell you whether it is working properly and allow you to troubleshoot if it isn't. There is also a small window at the bottom which should have the word ' enabled' in.

If you are in any doubt take it back, I wouldn't worry too much about wiping anything off it although you could always open it back up again and restore it back to the factory settings using system restore I suppose. Depending on where you bought it...they may be able to give you some advice.

oh you could also try a different modem cable...the fault may lie there.....that happened with a friend of mines laptop...they tried everything and then thats what it turned out to be

I wish I could help more...but I'm not very tecchie....I do love my laptop though and its worth it for the flexibility so don't give up
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Gildy sorry for not getting back sooner.

The only info that will stay on your laptop if you return it is who windows is registered to. Your name and address was sent to microsoft and is not on your system. All the other info can be deleted.

To see if your modem is faulty make a new connection with the wizard and let it connect to the first server it finds it will then dial a 0845 number you will not need any user names or paswwords for this to happen but it will get you onto the internet if you get on then your modem is fine. Its best to do it the way above then you will not need the isp's cd for installation where they customize your browser with their own logo's.Then the only rerason why your not connecting to your isp is that you have typed in your user name or password incorrectly.

The thing you got to remember about laptops is what they were designed to do when they were first bought out. They will i no way preform like a desktop make it sound like one then yes if you buy exturnel speakers.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Laptops usually have lower powered speakers than desktops - this is primarily because if they were powerful they would drain the battery in no time.

That said, it might be worth trying it when plugged into the mains (as opposed to running off the battery) - again, power saving function may reduce the output when running off battery. {Assuming you haven't already tried this.}

With regard to the modem, check that it is set to UK.

Goto Control Panel and open the Phone and modem options.
Under the Dialing rules tab highlight the entry that's in there (if any) and click on Edit. Check that the Country/region is set to UK - this will set it up so that the modem will listen for the correct dial tone, which varies from country to country. If there is no entry, click on New and create one - this might be part of the 'finalisation' questions it was trying to ask you previously, setting the country code for keyboard, date format etc.

To be able to hear what the modem is doing, click on the Modems tab and highlight to modem listed. Then click on Properties. If you then click on the Modem tab, you will see a Speaker volume control. Slide it to the right and click OK. Click OK again.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks Roy
I was thinking of having another go today but may do this tomorrow and I'll probably keep it...after all its mainly for fun and just writing e-mails/checking messageboards. It has a touchpad instead of a mouse and I can see in time the silver paint will probably wear off and it will look a bit "Used" though I understand you can connect a scrolling mouse of some kind which I'll look into.

Yes, I ran it on the electric first. What you mention sounds interesting and worth trying...I'll make a note of that and give it a try.

Now I have a laptop it seems a bit crazy to get rid of it. I'll like it better when its not hooked up to the phone-line or I have a different splitter that means it will fit without meaning I have to take out the existing splitter as the shape of the converter the modem cable fits either stops the normal phone being connected or the new cable cannot get all the way into the splitter.

Cheers

Gildy
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
I'll like it better when its not hooked up to the phone-line or I have a different splitter that means it will fit without meaning I have to take out the existing splitter as the shape of the converter the modem cable fits either stops the normal phone being connected or the new cable cannot get all the way into the splitter.
If it is just a socket doubler type splitter, I advise that you buy a surge protection strip with telephone protection - contains surge protected 13-amp sockets as well as telephone surge protection. This will protect the connected device from electrical surges and nearby lightening strikes.

Some of the surge strips have built-in telephone socket doubler/treblers which may be spaced sufficiently for you to connect your phone and your laptop.

Something like this may suit your current and, if you adopt ADSL your future needs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009RIP9/qid=1137529343/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/203-9605988-3581514
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Hows the laptop going Gildy?
Sorted it out yet?
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Hello Het
And my other friends for your continued help...I'm keeping the laptop as yet I have given up connecting it up to the net and may call in the person who set this system up or follow directions given to me earlier on.
I'm just holding off a while longer on going broadband as I am watching the financial situation as many of you know my health is not what it should be and I have had to spend the last few days filling in forms again, having visits and I do wonder what all the new proposed changes in how I may be helped(or not) will affect matters. All stress that I can do without.

Hope everyone is well and I do hope to continue to read and take part even more I do hope that I can subscibe to help Dogwatch continue again when the renewal date comes around again.

I have tried something new, however, my own blog! Its only in the early stages and nothing earth shattering has been written on the site, not sure if I can mention it here but if anyone wants the address just ask

Gildy xx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >