View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
anglaise
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Congestive Heart Failure - what happens at the end?

Yesterday the vet said there was nothing more she could do for Bella. Last week she took a turn for the worst and the vet tried 2 different medications on top of the Vetmedin and furosemide and neither helped. The vet said her heart had deteriorated a lot and it will pack up completely maybe in a day, maybe 3 weeks, maybe 2 months.

Of course we're hoping Bella will pass away peacefully in her sleep but don't know quite what to expect. She ate very little yesterday and the day before and brought most of it up afterwards. Today, she's not eaten at all and has been sick several times, not so much sick but more like a phlegm. She still gets up from her cushion when she needs to go outside but she staggers.

Has anyone been through this with their dog and can tell me what to expect? I would be very grateful for any advice.
anglaise
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2014, 05:21 PM
I forgot to say that yesterday she started turning her nose up at her meds - she usually gulps them down as they're wrapped in pate which she loves. I dread having to force them on her.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2014, 05:31 PM
I do not know what to say to you Maggie, except that hard as it might sound I wish your girl to go to sleep and peacefully take herself off to the Bridge when she is ready. Just as my Little One did.

(((hugs))) xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Mine died in my arms the day after diagnosis so the meds never got the chance to work to be fair but his heart simply stopped beating, he gave a sigh and was gone. It wasn't anything dramatic, far from it really. I wouldn't force the meds on her tbh the stress could well hasten the end.
Meg
Supervisor

21-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by anglaise View Post
Yesterday the vet said there was nothing more she could do for Bella. Last week she took a turn for the worst and the vet tried 2 different medications on top of the Vetmedin and furosemide and neither helped. The vet said her heart had deteriorated a lot and it will pack up completely maybe in a day, maybe 3 weeks, maybe 2 months.

Of course we're hoping Bella will pass away peacefully in her sleep but don't know quite what to expect. She ate very little yesterday and the day before and brought most of it up afterwards. Today, she's not eaten at all and has been sick several times, not so much sick but more like a phlegm. She still gets up from her cushion when she needs to go outside but she staggers.

Has anyone been through this with their dog and can tell me what to expect? I would be very grateful for any advice.
Hello Maggie, I am sorry to learn Bella is not doing so well

I don't think anyone can answer your question because each dog is different.

My last dog but one Amy had age related heart failure and over the last few weeks of her life she would stop eating and become very lethargic. I would prepare myself for the worst then she would pick up again only to slip back a couple of days later.

Eventually I could see that life for Amy held no pleasure at all, she couldn't even enjoy or keep her food down anymore.
I had to ask myself was I keeping her going for her benefit or because I couldn't bear the thought of being without her. Reluctantly I decided to let her go and made one last appointment with the vet.

Maggie it is very hard because we are discussing a much loved member of your family here.
I think you will know what to do when the time comes...xhugsx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 05:39 PM
So sorry you're having to go through this with Bella Can imagine how heartbreaking this must be...(( hugs))
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2014, 06:09 PM
My Shreky had his first heart attack a month ago and two more since, some days i think he will go but he perks up. Today he is fading fast, i don't think he will last long, so i know how you feel xxx I hope yours and mine both go peacefully whilst sleeping xxx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
My Shreky had his first heart attack a month ago and two more since, some days i think he will go but he perks up. Today he is fading fast, i don't think he will last long, so i know how you feel xxx I hope yours and mine both go peacefully whilst sleeping xxx
Aww S7eph Wee gentle (( hug)) for Shrek from Lacey and me xx
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2014, 06:34 PM
I am so sorry to read about both Bella and Shrek, What a horrible time for you both - I hope the end is gentle for them.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure what happens with dogs, but my grandfather had congestive heart failure. Near the end he would barely eat because he couldn't keep anything down and he lost so much weight he looked almost like a skeleton.

He could barely move because everything tired him out almost instantly and you could see that he was suffering. This lasted for a few months before he died in his bed one day. My father went in to check on him... and came out saying "He's gone" and it was all over.

It goes up and down, but then usually it just stops going up, and then that's usually when it's time to say goodbye. Of course for some stupid reason humans are left to suffer to death, but with any dog... I'd kindly go have them put to sleep.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >