Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Chip

I'm wondering how we go about getting our new 2 year old dog registered with identichip or petlog. We have his chip number, which we noted from his KC papers that the breeder let us see for a few minutes. Our vet also verified the chip number.

But I've no idea if it's already registered with some agency and needs changing, or whether we just phone up one of them and say, this is our ship number, can we have it set to this address please, and pay the fee.

It was easy with one of our cats, as she came from Cats Protection already identichipped to me. But this is just a chip number, I've no idea on whether he's registered anywhere.

Can anyone offer any advice?

PS. I know you're probably getting sick of all my questions, but it's all so new to me and this forum is so helpful.

Thanks again,
David.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2011, 11:49 AM
You need the details from the chip registration not just the number as you could be anyone trying to update the chip to yourself. Ask the breeder to do it or ask them for a copy of the chip registration, I can't really see why they would hold on to the chip registration document to be honest so they will probably send it to you if they have it to hand.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Hmm I'm not entirely sure how you would go about it. Mine is chipped with Petlog and have the microchip paper which has a number on it to call if you need to change the details on it. I think it costs £5 but not entirely sure.

So I imagine you would need to know what company the chip is registered with to call them up. Why don't you call the breeder and ask him/her? Probably be the easiest way to find out.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Try logging on to www.petlog.org.uk

Enter your chip and another number, and you pay £10 to change it I think.

I tried with my dog just the other day (she still has breeder details), but I can only find the chip number so need to look in to the Pet Log ID.

Obviously this is if you are registered with PetLog so you do need to find who you are with, but the petlog website has a 'check your details' section, so you can enter them in and see.
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You need the details from the chip registration not just the number as you could be anyone trying to update the chip to yourself. Ask the breeder to do it or ask them for a copy of the chip registration, I can't really see why they would hold on to the chip registration document to be honest so they will probably send it to you if they have it to hand.
I can't see why they would either, but on the day we went to collect him they went back on their original word of letting us transfer the KC papers for him, so we left on slightly annoyed terms. Based on that I'm reluctant to call them unless I absolutely have to.
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Try logging on to www.petlog.org.uk

Enter your chip and another number, and you pay £10 to change it I think.

I tried with my dog just the other day (she still has breeder details), but I can only find the chip number so need to look in to the Pet Log ID.

Obviously this is if you are registered with PetLog so you do need to find who you are with, but the petlog website has a 'check your details' section, so you can enter them in and see.
Ah right, the "Check your details" bit still needs the PetlogID as well as the Microchip number.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2011, 12:36 PM
The petlog I.D will be on the petlog registration document but you can't do change of owner online. I know because I've just had a load of hassle with trying to update my pups info and she was registered to me but the breeder had spelt my name wrong and it rejected me saying my chip number and petlog I.D were invalid. I had to phone them in the end.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
Ah right, the "Check your details" bit still needs the PetlogID as well as the Microchip number.
This is the trouble I'm having As its registered to my breeder she has the certificate (this is what the number comes on apparently). The paper she gave me doesn't have the number (only microchip no) so I'll have to contact her.

Will keep an eye on this thread incase people come up with a solution which will help us both! Sorry I wasnt more help

The person you got the dog off sounds like they have not been easy.. why did they go back on their word regarding the KC documentation?
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Sorry I wasnt more help
You were.

The person you got the dog off sounds like they have not been easy.. why did they go back on their word regarding the KC documentation?
Well when we went to get him, they said no it didn't include the papers, they never are when sold half price.

We knew we were getting him cheaper than one would get a pup, but I was under the impressions we were getting him a bit cheaper was because he was 2 years old, not for any other reason, they say not and said we could pay full price if wanted his papers.

I said I was told we'd get them and be able to transfer them, yada yada yada. We were getting nowhere, and ultimately we were given the choice of having the papers, but losing the 14 day trial return from the contract, or vice versa. Since we felt we 'needed' the possible return period as we needed to make sure our cats would be ok with him, we decided to leave the KC registration. Our other reasoning being that since we only wanted a pet, not to enter him into KC shows, then it probably ultimately didn't matter to us. I think they were worried we'd want to breed from him or something, but there were restrictions on that on his papers anyway, so we didn't see what difference that made.

I asked to see them and check the chip ID to make sure they were at least genuine. But it did get my back up.
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2011, 01:22 PM
It's different here in the states but very easy to do. I think if you go to the vet and have your dog scanned it will pull the number....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >